Deer 2015

Started by Hunterbug, October 27, 2015, 05:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

This past weekend my friend Spencer and I went on my deer hunt. I spent 12 points for this tag, he was my companion. I got up there and set up camp and he came and met me.

Here is camp and the view.

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

On Saturday morning at checked in to the ranch. They divided the hunters up into groups and sent us to different areas. Our ranch hands help consisted of park here and walk in this area. A man of few words. Spencer and I waited at the truck until we could see since we had no idea what to expect. Here is the area we were in.

I passed on this buck at about 75 yards. It was to early to fill my tag.

We started walking and Spencer and I suffer from the same disorder, one more hill. Soon we were 2.5 miles from the truck by GPS but we saw some great country.

I took a page from Paul's book.

Spencer being a goof.

Me.

Some more pics from day one.

Some bear tracks.

I think these were from a cub.

These were bigger than the others.

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

What??? No dead deer pictures! C'mon!

Nice pics. Love the bear tracks! I'm a little surprised for that country.

Taking a nap in the middle of the day is 'the best'! Often, animals will sneak up on ya. I think they're trying to figure out if you're dead. I often kill them at very close range.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

sakorick

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Hunterbug

When we checked out on Saturday night we talked to a couple of younger guys from the ranch and they said that they'd send us to a different spot the next day. The next morning we were following one into the area when he stopped his truck. He told me to park there and for us to walk in 300 yards and just sit. Ago we went to the top of the hill, set up, and started glassing. I saw a lot of does and smaller bucks. Here is the view from there.

We saw a doe, spike, and a bigger buck about 300 yards off. After a while I decided to take a shot at the bigger buck that was a 5x5. I shot and he ran over the hill. I didn't feel good about the shot but we went to check for blood. I watched while Spencer went to get the packs. The doe and spike came back several times but not the big buck. When he got back we headed to where they were. We saw no blood. I saw 6 does below me feeding. I watched them to see what was going on. They looked to my left but I didn't see anything. They looked to my right and zi saw the doe and big buck. I put my binoculars down and picked up my rifle. The buck was gone. I watched the doe and she went behind a tree. I looked closely and there he was. About 250 yards away down hill from me. He was facing way, up hill but looking back at me. I put the cross hairs between his shoulder blades and shot. He dropped right there. I racked another shell in and he was trying to crawl down the hill. I put one behind his shoulder and it was over.

As soon as he was down I heard a voice say, "you got him".

I looked down to my left and it was one of the ranch guys. I said that he had an offer for us. His truck was stuck and if we got him out, he'd get my deer out. We were all over that! He gutted it and carried it to the top of the hill. Then we went to get his truck.

It took a little work but we got him out. I wish that I'd had Spencer get a picture of my Toyota pulling his big Chevy out. :D

That evening we went back to camp. Spencer wanted to get a few rabbits. So he grabbed his 10-22 and I followed him to the safe brush above camp. We saw several cottontails and after several shots he got one.

I took the gun and had 2 shots. My first was high and left. My second got his attention.

We went back to camp so that he could grab more ammo and I grabbed my Winchester 67. I got one with a perfect head shot at about 20 yards and he got 2 more.

We got them cleaned and had a nice fire that night.

And since no hunting trip would be complete without some adventure..........

Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

Oh yea, I recovered the first bullet. It hit a little lower than I wanted and broke his back right below the rib cage. I found it in the back strap. It was a 200gr Accubond. It weighs out at 127.1gr.

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Great stuff! Love the bullet! And nice shot to hit the backbone at almost 300 yd, but I'm not surprised. I've seen you make long shots before!

Great story and great pics. Thanks!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Great stuff , Pat !!!!!!!!!    

What more could you ask for other than also carrying an antelope tag in your pocket. :laugh:

Thanks for the pictures etc.   Made my day.:jumpingsmiley:

Having a hard time waiting till January...........

sakorick

Great hut and of course the pictures!

farmboy

Quote from: sakorick;141609NW Colo?

I was wondering where you were as well. Nice buck!

sakorick

Looks more kike NW of Ft Collins on the Wyoming border.

Paul Hoskins

Good story, good pictures great scenery  & good hunting. What more is there? ....Oh yeah, those sheep in one picture. Makes the best sandwiches in the world. Beats cold bologna every time. Thanks for sharing with us, Bug. .......Paul H

Hunterbug

Thanx guys. We were about 10 miles east of Baggs Wyoming just inside the Colorado line.

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Right you were, Rick.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: