Gum question

Started by drinksgin (deceased), August 09, 2015, 08:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drinksgin (deceased)

I am curious, what is it about eucalyptus trees that prompts the name of "Gum".
I know of 2 trees in the US natives that have gum in the name, sweet gum. Liquidamber styratafolio, which has  slightly sweet sap that occurs as a material similar to chewing gum and  black tupelo, aka black gum, Nyata sylvatica, which, to my limited knowledge, makes nothing similar to chewing gum.
:huh2:
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

jaeger88

Believe are known as gum trees because they exude copious kino ( gum ), from any break in the bark.
I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

gitano

Thanks for the links, jaeger88. We have a few eucalypts here in the US that were imported from Australia, especially in California. (In fact, I don't know of them anywhere else in the US.) I used to salvage wood from them when the city of San Diego would cut them down or clear blow-downs. None of the species I ran across here in the States exuded 'gum'. On the contrary actually, I thought they were a bit 'drier' than other local trees. However, when I was in Australia I saw what variety there is among eucalyptus. There must be hundreds of species. I am sure that several, if not many, exude 'gum'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

I do know of some plantings of eucalyptus trees, specie not known, in S. Texas, mostly along H. 281.
All I have seen are south of San Antonio, so I would infer that they are at least somewhat frost tender.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Tags: