H&R Ultra .308 Range Report

Started by Lost Hunta, February 05, 2005, 03:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Hunta

Well a week later i finally got to the range. Foggy and cold i set up at the 50yrd range. 1st shot...hmmm where is it?? 2nd shot.......ALRIGHTT WHERE'S THE HOLE?!?!!?!?!? 3rd shot "shoot the dirt" "it's left bout a foot" says my dad. 4th shot...finally 16" left 8" high from the POA. so move the turrets down and right 5th shot...still 16" L but it went down bout 5" hmmmmmmm scope trouble eh? so having used up all my Hoppes with just one clean time i decided to shoot for groups. same spot and about 2" groups total after 13 shots about i bet tighter with a un-machine marked barrel which chewed the bullets i bet and being for a malfuntioning scope and surplus ammo, that and it was cold for me. So i picked up a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 scope so we'll see next week ya.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Brithunter

Hi Lost Hunta,

What type scope is it?

Is this the first time shooting this rifle?

What are the mounts like?

Reason I ask is that when I tried the newly aquired P-H rifle I traded into, it was shooting way left and the scope could not go over far enough in adjustment to put it right on the centre line:mad:  On this rifles I am sure it's the mounts are not fited correctly so I have shimmed the front ring on the mount for now and got it shooting central so at least I know it's not the scope which was fitted already. The mounts are P-H alloy ones whihc I do not like so I intended to change them anyway but cannot afford the bases which I want just now, already have the 30mm rings just need the bases but they cost $135 or ther abouts:rolleyes:  however they do hold and return to zero so................ already have them on another rifle an dchecked that out.

You seem to be convinced that it's the scope........ any reason to suspect it?

Good luck!
Go Get them Floyd!

Lost Hunta

Well the scope i had when i shot it was an old Weaver V7-II 2.5-7x32 but i swapped it with a brand new Nikon Prostaff3-9x40 so who knows what'll happen next. Also i was informed that a 1/4"@100yrd is only valued at 1/8 ot 2/16" ,however you want, at 50yrds so maybe i failed to compensate for this eh. It was the first time shooting it so machining marks were in the barrel but i think most are at least almost gone from 19rnds thorough it with one cleaning after 9shots (ran outta Hoppe's). the mounts? ummmm just a one piece weaver style an H&R comes with but it 'seems' straight. The reason i thinks its the scope is that the POI always shifted on my .30-30 but then again when it was on  the H&R i didn't know on click only equaled 1/8" at 50yrds so maybe thats why but but at the some time the windage thing was confusing me i had moved the elevation turret down and it moved substantially and it had had less of a a a a move i guess. sorry i was unable to retreive the target.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

M1Garand

A good way to get on paper without wasting shots is start at 25 yards.  At that range, even if you're way off you should still be on paper somewhere and can adjust closer and move the target out.  Saves some ammo and makes it a little easier.

Brithunter

Hi All,

25 paces was where I started with the P-H 30-06 rifle I picked up, then 65 paces before moving back to 115 paces
 At 25 yards if the scope has 4 clicks to the inch then to move that inch you have to go X4 so 16 clicks, at 50 yards it would be 8 clicks to move the inch. Perhaps you could get that Weaver fixed. should it turn out to be that. You will know once you ry out teh new scope of course:D
Go Get them Floyd!

Lost Hunta

lol true but who could do that. I was just gonna sell it on E-bay and if i do i'll send the link if ya wanna go for it
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Brithunter

Hi Lost Hunta,

Hmm that may not be such as good idea, unless you specifically mention it has a problem, to many come backs and it just adds up to hassle, either bin it or have it repaired, just my opinion;)
Go Get them Floyd!

fish

i am experienced handi-rifle owner. i think most of these problems are yours, not the rifle's. first, NO surplus ammo in a .308 win handi-rifle. there are minor dimensional differences in the nato round and commercial round that are magnified by the type of action used by the handi. also, the seal around the crimp can really gum up the throat of your chamber, making cleaning ever more critical. second, pull the mount from your rifle, and bed it with epoxy or jb weld or something similar when you re-mount it. instructions for this are on graybeard.com in the handi forum. second, there is no need to spray lead to get your rifle sighted in. open the thing, nestle it securely on your sandbags and sight through the barrel at a boldly marked target at 25 yards. click your scope settings to match your human eyeball boresight picture. bingo, you're on the paper bigtime. you can do this with any bolt action rifle as well; just pull the bolt. when you shoot off bags, make sure the forearm rests right at the hinge, not way out front. when you pull the trigger, keep it pulled back on the follow-through, gently.  this helps with consistent ignition and consistent hold.
i hope this helps. there are lots of other tips on that handi site. good shooting, my friend.

Lost Hunta

is it safe to shoot surp ammo cause i got about 30rnd of Aussie stuff still?
"Cari" my M4 carbine

fish

it's perfectly safe. i just wouldn't expect much out of it in the way of accuracy. the handi is built to saami spec commercial civilian ammo.

Marlin917VS

I got military surplus 7.62mm ammo for my 308 and it shot like crap.  I'm talking 8-10 inch groups at 100 yards compared to 1inch with normal ammo.  It fun to mess around with if you are shooting at steel plates or anything like than, but no groups.  Later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

deadeye2

A bad scope and bad ammo will make very good rifle look very bad. A very scope and very good ammo will make a very poor rifle look good. If you do not believe this just try it and you will see what I say is true.
Be Safe...Have Fun

deadeye2

Lost Hunta

Well i figure the last 30rnds of Aussi stuff will sight my rifle in and remove machine marks some more, then once that's done buy so new factory ammo and fine tune that sweet rifle of mine into a fine shooter :)
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Lost Hunta

Back to the range, I got her zeroed basically but when it shot just over the center a while later after my dad fired it 10times i shot the last 3 and it was higher? Barrel temp likely? Aussi 7.62 NATO Surp. best group was 1"3/4  5 shots
largest was 2" 1/4 with 2 flyers from trigger jerk ( i perfer 2stg with a bit of creep)
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Tags: