Ruger No.1 45-70

Started by oneshotman, February 04, 2005, 09:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneshotman

Am I wrong or did not ruger at one time make the #1 in 45-70?  I though they did but a buddy showed me that they do not list it.  I would have bet the farm that i seen one once upon a time.
The mind is a terrible thing sometimes...

Brithunter

Hi oneshotman,

Well your farm would have been safe because yes they did also they chambered the #3 as well in 45/70. In Paul. A. Matthews book "Forty Years with the 45-70" he shows phots of his own #1 and his + his brothers #3 rifles in 45-70. He also later brought a Ruger #1 tropical in .458 WM.
Go Get them Floyd!

45-70 Rifleman

The No. 1 is one of the best rifles you can find in 45-70.  It is super strong and can even be handloaded to higher pressures than are safe for the Marlin leverguns.

gitano

I am almost certain that Ruger still sells its No. 1 in .45-70. I might be mistaken, but I think a phone call to Ruger would be the only thing that would convince me otherwise.

As far as being
Quoteone of the best rifles you can find in 45-70...
I might differ in that opinon. I absolutely love No. 1s. However, I have owned them in heavy recoiling chamberings, and they are brutal. I would own a No. 1 in .45-70 in a heart-beat, but I'd never load it for speeds faster than 1400 fps with 405 grain bullets. It would be extremely unpleasant to shoot - as well as, in my opinion, unecessary.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

rockinbbar

You think that's bad, try a No.3 with "hot" rounds.....Whew! Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it...;)

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

oneshotman

Thanks for making me feel like I am not losing what little mind I have left.  Rugers web site does not list the 45-70 being available in the #1.  That may be the next thing on my want list...

Tags: