Which .22 LR?

Started by M1Garand, October 13, 2004, 08:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M1Garand

I'm looking to pick up a 22 LR and I liked the Remington 504 but it was a little more than I'd like to spent on a .22.  The Rem 597 doesn't look too bad and when I priced one at Gander Mountain the guy said that Ruger 10/22 was better.  My brother has a 10/22 and I like it, I've also owned a Marlin (don't remember the model) and that was a really accurate rifle.  Does anyone have any experience with the 597?  How does it rate compared to the 10/22 or a Marlin?  Thanks.

Vacant

Both are decent rifles stock. The Ruger is the clear winner if you are trying to build up an accurate rifle or you are trying to get the most add-ons. The 597 has an even cheap reciever than the 10/22 with a very weak optics platform. It is drilled and tapped for the supplied mounts and it has a groove for tip-off mounts. The taps for the bases are shallow and will strip easier than you'd think. The Ruger definitely has a better optics system- get a Volquartsen base and loc-tite it on and it wont come off.

They both have really junky triggers without modification. Again, Volquartsen makes an aftermarket hammer for both taht will bring the trigger pull down considerably. Dont expect one to outshoot the other. On average you can expect 1-2" groups at best at 50yds. The 10/22 has by far the best designed magaizine ever built, the BX-1. The 597 is prone to not feeding and jamming up because of the cheap plastic mag. It may be fixed but voids the waranty. You can also get massive hi-capacity afteremarket mag's for the 10/22 but not for the Remy.

Try to handle both rifles to make your decision. Im sure you could behappy with either if you just want a plinker. I suggest the 10/22 though. Get a Hogue stock and a green mountain 20" bull barrel and you will get a gun that shoots small holes in paper at 50yds.

Good luck,
Randy

www.volquartsen.com -for parts for both

Marlin917VS

I agree with vacant. I dont own either but i've shot both (although the 10/22 wasnt stock) and the 10/22 was far better. The 597 just felt cheap to me. There wasn't any jamming problems when I was shooting but from what I've heard they do jam alot. I'de go with the 1022 and just get a new stock and barrel. later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Hunterbug

The 10/22 is superior to the 597 in every way, shape and form. If I was looking to buy a new 22 the 10/22 would be my second choice with the Browning Buckmark carbine the first.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Vacant

No doubt the Buckmark will outshoot any auto rimfire out of the box. But you pay quite a bit more for those little holes at 50yds.

Randy

drinksgin (deceased)

Other than the special purpose target rifles of the '40's and'50s ,Remington has not made .22rf rifles of any note in the last 40 years, it has been mostly flash and retoric from the gun magazine writers, most of whom are as trustworthy as car magazine writers.
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Hunterbug

Vacant, you are correct. You do pay a bit more for thoes tiny little holes. I guess that everyone has to decide how much accuracy they want and how much they are willing to pay for it.

drinksgin, I will politely disagree with you on that. They did make one sleek little number called the Nylon 66 which is a nice little 22. I payed 20 bucks for mine and 26 for the Burris mounts and the Weaver V4.5 I got for free and it'll shoot some very tight groups at 50 yards. It's a great little rabbit gun and I'm sure that it would work great for squirrels but I'm not allowed to hunt them.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

drinksgin (deceased)

HB;
I have seen the 66&77, have never been around any of them, the 5xxT series, I believe there were 3 or 4 different models, all with receiver sights, were nice rifles, the 5xx series that were in Sears, Wards and the local hardware stores were not much, several of my bunch had the ss, box mag and tubular mag models and were not really happy.
I bought a 550A, self loading, and after about 10 or 15 cartons , it turned itself into a machine gun.
I got rid of that quick, load 15 and only get 5 or 6 shots is not the way to go.
Glad you have had good results with your 66.
:], Don

Vacant

You speak the truth about most gunwriters, drinksgin. Wouldnt trust em far as I could throw them. They get paid by the people whose products they test... so "bias" is a mild word for what they write. Im still looking for a good magazine that writes quality articles. Gave up on G&A... Field and Stream do okay, but om not into half of what they write. Peterson's is also decent to some degree.

Oh well.

I will agree that the Nylon series were decent guns. Held many at gun shows but they never appealed to my tastes. The new 504 bolt action is a joke- centerfire price on a gun that is all looks. Give me a CZ or give me death!!!

lol..
Randy

drinksgin (deceased)

Vacant;
If you do not watch out, you may become an old cynic, as some of us are already!
Gun Tests Magazine, what I have seen, is very honest and does not sugar coat their tests, unfortunately, their content is about 75% handguns and my interests are about 90% long arms, so I shall not be renewing my subscription.
Go shoot something, Don ;]

ba_50

A Gander Mountain gunsmith told me the 597 isn't worth messing with. I told him the Savage Mark II was junk and he agreed with me.

sakorick

One-zero-twenty two. Ruger all the way period end of my discussion unless you want to see outrageous 60 yard groups! Regards, Rick.:D
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Ditto.

I also like the Browning little auto too though.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

ba_50

Rick,

Is yours a stock factory barrel? From what I've read a 1' group minimum for stock 10/22's I'm looking for a 1/2MOA rifle so maybe a Remington 581 if can find one.

gitano

QuoteI'm looking for a 1/2MOA rifle

You, and a few million other folks. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: