In Praise Of The Remington Rolling Block

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), January 29, 2005, 05:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

Remington Rolling Blocks are much overlooked by younger hunters.  They are not only famous for their functionality but also for their accuracy.  And if that were not enough...they are also beautiful.

Originals can be found that are not too pricey and there are some that are chambered in 7X57 for hunters with more comtemporary tastes.  There are also reporductions that Navy Arms imported (more moderately priced) and faithful custom reproductions that are as costly as the originals...and then some.

For the hunter who is willing to hunt without needing the confidence of a magazine, these rifles can be very enjoyable to use.  You can imagine the conversation around the campfire or lodge, the pictures taken with one of these rifles next to the game and last, but not least, you have an heirloom to pass down that is just that little bit different than the run-of-the-mill hunting rifle.

45-70 Rifleman

Agreed.  The fact that so many modern rolling-block replicas are being made today is proof of the gun's worth.

Brithunter

Hi All,

Hmmm not so sure about this bit jay:-

they are also beautiful.

They do say the Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so...................... not saying I would turn my nose up but............................ I think you know I would prefer a Martini:D  again not to every ones taste but! Now a Swinburn Improved Martini at that would be spiffing to say the least:cool:  I could even go with a Snider come to think of it which has much more graceful lines.
Go Get them Floyd!

drinksgin (deceased)

Jay;
In the '50's, a cousin had a Stevens lever operated single shot,  was a .32 rf to start with, was converted to .32-20, was this similar to the Remington action?
Do you know what action this was?

Don     :D
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: drinksginJay; In the '50's, a cousin had a Stevens lever operated single shot, was a .32 rf to start with, was converted to .32-20, was this similar to the Remington action?[/size]
Do you know what action this was?
[/size]

Hooo Boy...I'm afraid I'd need quite a bit more information Don.  The possible single shot lever actions of the Stevens persuasion is quite long (mostly weak actions that handled low power rimfires)...however, in .32-20 it could have been a Side Plate Stevens, the No. 44 or the 44 1/2 could have handled the cartridge.  Opening up a .25-20, due to a rusted barrel, was not an uncommon event.  I reckon you'll have to find out a little more.  The change from .32 RF to .32-20 brings a few more of the Stevens line into the equation: the No. 12 Marksman, the Crackshot...perhaps even the Favorite.  Unsafe practices.

Most of these rifles lean more toward 'falling block' or even 'tilting block' rather than 'rolling block'.  No...the 'lock up' on the Rolling Block is very strong and Remington had the patent.

drinksgin (deceased)

Jay;
Thanks, he used cast bullets and loaded with a tong tool and some kind of bulk powder from the hardware store.
I haven't seen the rifle or cousin since '56, so the details are fuzzy. It did have an octagon barrel, but a lot of Stevens had those.
The cousin died in a car wreck about '91 so I can't ask him about it, I did enjoy helping him load and shoot , of course, any gun loving teenager would have.
Don    :D
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

45-70 Rifleman

You know, these make beautiful rifles but all of the replicas you see are chambered in "buffalo" cartridges.  I wish someone would make a replica available in 25-35 and 30-30.  That would make a really sweet little rifle.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: BrithunterHi All, [/color][/size]Hmmm not so sure about this bit jay:-

"they are also beautiful."

They do say the Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so...not saying I would turn my nose up but...I think you know I would prefer a Martini QUOTE]

OK, ok...we're all aware of your drinking problem.:D

Seriously, a Martini thread will be forth coming.

kombi1976

I'm not sure if I posted a pic of this baby earlier(I don't think I did) but this is my 1908 Remington Model 6 in .22LR that I believe is a rolling block.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
It's a nice little rifle but I really need to zero in the rear adjustable sights and the trigger on it has several tonnes of pull. :(
Are they hard to fix?
I don't intend to risk doing it myself but it really needs it.
At the moment it isn't so much a squeeze as wrestle :confused:
Anyhow here's the pic:

Not bad for $150, eh? ;)
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Jay Edward (deceased)

Alright, here is the Remington Model 6 line drawing.

The trigger sear is in the safety notch. Bringing the hammer all the way back will but the trigger sear up on the hammer notch/sear. I doubt seriously that the trigger return spring is the problem. That leaves three obvious possibilities (if there is nothing interfering with the rotation of the trigger).

1) The surface of the sears were case hardened and has worn to the point that soft metal is working on soft metal.

2) There is some sort of ridge or machine 'mark' that is interfering with the sears slipping past each other.

3) The 'angle' of the sear surfaces is incorrect and you are working against the hammer spring.

You are right...let someone who really knows what he is doing work on it.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Here is the standard version.

Jay Edward (deceased)

I also had a question from someone else about the actions strengths of Remington Rolling Blocks.  Here is a chart that explains most of the issue.

Tags: