Lead and tin

Started by drinksgin (deceased), December 23, 2013, 11:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drinksgin (deceased)

With the rapidly disappearing  wheel weight supply problem and unknown scrap sources being about the only option for inexpensive lead, a supply of tin becomes more important.
Lead free solder, which is usually 95% tin, is selling for $24 a lb here.
It only needs a small amount to make lead fill the molds well, but it would be nice to have other sources.
I went on ebay and shopped for pewter, found  some scrap and got it for $6.50 lb, delivered.
As usual pewter is 95% or more tin, usually with some antimony and sometimes a trace of copper, it would mix nicely with scrap lead .
I went through my stock checking the BHN, had several lots of 8 or less, without trying to pour some, I do not know if they have the needed tin but I can add some now if needed.
Just another source of material and it could also provided lead free cast bullets if it becomes necessary.
Kommiefornia is going to outlaw all lead for hunting soon, tin is lighter, but possibly with the addition of some bismuth might make a useable hunting bullet.
Don't you hate nanny state ninnys!
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

I've got maybe 1000 lbs of wheel weights, so I'm probably OK for the rest of my shooting life with "alloy".

I get pure lead from here: http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/leadwirebythefoot.htm. They have reasonable prices and WILL USE THE USPS! They also sell tin http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/tiningotform.htm and "Cerrosafe" http://www.rotometals.com/Low-Melting-Fusible-Alloys-s/21.htm .

As long as they are in business, I will do business with them.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Yep, had my eye on Rotometal for a while. I need to get some tin as my 358429's don't fill as well as they could with just wheel weights. A bit more tin wouldn't hurt my other bullets either.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

drinksgin (deceased)

The only stuff I have a problem with are the under 8 bars.
I think most are either sheetrock lead or valley flashing.
I have tried just straight stack lead and it has cast ok, I believe the pipe part is soldered to the flat part with 50-50 solder so it gets a bit of tin there.

gitano

I recognize some of that as English, but most of it is 'greek'. What is "under 8 bar", and "straight stack lead?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Bars with a BHN of less than 8.
Stack lead is ;
A piece of flat lead with a piece of lead pipe soldered on it, nailed to the roof after being placed on the pipe sticking through the roof and the end peened over the end of the pipe vent to make it rainproof.

Tags: