Remington 710 7mm Rifle

Started by buckman, January 21, 2005, 05:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckman

I am wanting to get anyones thoughts on the Remington 710 7mm rifle that is on the market.  I am looking for an inexpensive rifle and scope to deer and elk hunt with.  Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

rockinbbar

buckman,

Welcome to THL!
I hope you visit & post often.:)

As to the Remington 710....

I have heard good & bad about the rifle. The good is that they shoot well, it seems.

The bad being that they are kinda ugly & are not built with quality components that would render a long rifle life. It would be OK for the occasional hunter, that doesn't shoot a whole lot year around, like some do...(Me included)

If you are cost sensitive & want a really superb, accurate, proven rifle....might want to check out the Savage 110 series.

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

HARRY SACZ

Take a look at the Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow at Wal Mart it comes with a 3x9 Simmons scope and comes in 270WSM, 7MM WSM and 300 WSM. And it sells for 400.00. Also comes in smaller calibers, but for deer and elk these three would be fine.

buckman

Thanks for the information.  I use my rifle for deer hunting once a year and maybe some coyote hunting and some minor shooting, but nothing much.  Thanks again for the information!

buckman

Is this a better rifle than the 710?  Thanks for the response

HARRY SACZ

I was also looking at the 710, the model 70 won because it was lighter and just felt better to hold. But the 710 was 50.00 cheaper. But if you want to do alot of shooting the 270 WSM shells are about a buck each., not a gun you can afford to shoot all day!

Big Red Trike

710 has a nylon insert in the breach I think....I hear very poor quality ....buy a gun, then buy a scope....packages are gimmicky and you get 2 poor quality items for 1 price....just my thoughts

BRT

Gmoney

I think the exact same about "package deals"
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

m gardner

I'm a diehard Remington fan but I can't fall in love with the 710. The suggestion about the model 70 at Walmart is a sound one. God bless and good hunting!

rockey

ya i would have to agree the model 70 or rem 700 adl are much better gun,you can get the adl for 30 more dolars,if your going to get an adl i would say try to get 1 quick, because thier not making them any more changed it to "sps" really the same gun with a hinge plate

amsorak

Savage rifles aren't that badly priced either.   I think if I was trying to fill a deer and coyote gun void I might go with a 25/06.  Seems to work well for the friends who have one.

Rick

I would stay away from the 710.   There have been quality control problems with them, and they just are not built or even designed well.   THey were made to compete with the Savage and other less expensive rifles, but cannot compete on a quality level.   Go with a Remington 700, Winchester 70, Savage or the new Stevens bargain-version of the Savage.   Every Savage I have shot or heard about shoots very accurately.

Here is a sample group from my .223 Savage -

buckshot roberts

;) Hey, Rick I have an old model savage 99R in 300,sav, that groups like that.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Justincase

The remington 710 does not look or feel cheap and I do like the synthetic stock  that will take a beating walking through the woods. a wood stock often comes on more expensive guns however gets stratches and dings and makes the gun heavier. The bolt and trigger could be a little smoother but the 710 is a very good gun for the money the only draw back is the recoil strong I've been told it does not bother me much but I've been told It kicks like a mule. I believe this is a result of a synthetic stock. I paid $356.00 plus shipping for my remington 710 at www.snipercountrypx.com I bought the .300 win mag and them deer do back flips. I also believe they have a .270, a 7mm mag, and a 30-06 for the same price.

Brithunter

Well if you like your rifle all well and good. But please don't tell me that the 710 does not look or feel cheap............ sheesh.

Now if someone offered me a brand new Rem 700 I would day thankyou and take it straight to the dealers to sell it as I do not like them one bit. However with a Rem 710 I don't think I could actually bring myself to accept it even as a gift.

On another forum a fellow who brought one tried to tell me how good it was. And I am having none of it. Now I see he has posted that after several hundred rounds through his 30-6 710 that the bolt stop has sheared off and the bolt come out when you cycle it. Guess what ? Remington ain't interested. Quality Bahhhhhh!
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: