Dw-40

Started by Luke, January 12, 2005, 03:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

Does anybody use D-W40 for there firearms.  I used it Yesterday it works pretty good.  Should I keep on using it.   Help me out.

thanks,

oneshotman

Yeah i use it too but only for the exterior of the barrel and receiver.  there are better things on the market for oiling the action and so forth.  every gun owner probably has a can or 5 laying around.

fish

do NOT use it. it dissipates quickly, and what's left tends soon to attract oxidation (rust). get thee quickly to a store and get a little bottle of rem oil or hoppe's gun oil.

Luke

What should I do to get the D-W-40 out.  Because I sprayed inside of the action.  Maybe just re-oil it with gun oil? Please Help.

beretta96

wd-40 is not a lube. wd stands for water disapation. it gets rid of water. fine for wiping down after wet day at range but follow up with good gun oil (hoppes, rem,outers, etc.)

deadeye2

Hi Luke,
I have never used WD-40 on any of my fire arms.  I guess it is mind thing for me, but seems like the WD-40 is more for lawn tools and etc. LoL

I have used Rem-oil for the past 10-12 years.  It seems to do a fine job.
Be Safe...Have Fun

deadeye2

davryn

Beretta96 is correct. This product is designed to remove moisture and after the carrier solvent evaporates it leaves behind a rust preventative coating (assuming that you didn't wipe it all off first). It is also good to disolve old oil and grease.

However, no place on the can does it say "lubricates". The closest it comes is "quiets squeeks", so it is not a lubricant and a good quality oil or grease should be used instead.

It also has one nasty attribute; it is a real 'dust magnet'. If the exterior of a gun is coated and then taken to a dusty environment, it will soon be covered with dust that wants to stick and is hard to wipe off. Leading to the viscious circle of using more to clean off the dust.

Tool Dude

;) You can use a can of spray brake cleaner to remove it from the action and external parts, provided you lubricate it in short order afterwards.  You may want to read the can to make sure it will not have an adverse affect on any materials existing on your firearm.  It shouldn't.  Thats what most of the folks at my office use and it works great on everything from our Glocks to M-4s (M-16).  You can buy the same stuff from sporting goods stores, but it costs around 5$ per can as opposed to $1.99 for brake cleaner.  I get most of mine from Napa stores.

All the best,

Brian

Big Red Trike

2 words........Gun oil

Tags: