new barrel break-in

Started by oneshotman, January 11, 2005, 08:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneshotman

Question of the day,  How do you all break in a new rifle?  I know the brench rest boys are very picky about how one is broken in(or at least some are and with what those things cost I dont blame them) but for a normal hunting rifle what is "normal"
I have aways cleaned it good from the factory, shot about 5 rounds, cleaned, repeat for about another 20 rounds then after hunting season or whenever after a long day at the range.  What are your thoughts?

Lost Hunta

That sounds fine. May need more than a few patches though if it's after every 5 rounds instead of 1 round like they say... well here this is a link
http://www.larrywillis.com/Barrel.html
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Marlin917VS

Clean
5shots
clean with brush then hoppes
5 shots
5 shots
10 shots
10 shots
5 shots

That will take up 2 boxes of ammo, but it has worked for me.  Later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Lost Hunta

So after 5 shots send a brush down (how many times?) then clean it with Hoppe's #9 Nitro Powder Solvent  with how many patches?? then shoot five more, repeat, repeat. 10shots, then why 5 shots again??
"Cari" my M4 carbine

rockinbbar

Marlin,
You & Lost have the idea down, but not the why's & what fors...

You shoot a few shots, then clean with a copper & powder solvent. THEN you run a patch through with something like Rem-Oil on it....
You repeat this a few times. It will season the bore like a cast iron skillet....It also helps remove the new rough spots from the bore.

After you get to the point that you are firing several shots & your cleaning patch isn't removing much residue, then you can count your job as completed.
I usually do the at the same time I'm sighting in a new rifle, letting the barrel cool properly in between shots.

The idea of seasoning a new barrel is to not let the copper & powder build up on the rougher spots of the new barrel. After a few rounds, when you get a clean patch...(this may vary from barrel to barrel, or gun to gun), then just keep the barrel clean as you would any rifle.

As far as I know, there are NO certain guidline for how many shots are to be fired, or when the patch starts coming out clean.

I usually fire 3, clean & swab, repeat, then try a 5 shot group...after a couple of those I usually end up with a clean patch, that shows not much sign that copper, or powder is in the bore.
After the break-in, I usually clean the barrel after 20-30 rounds & swap with Rem-Oil. This just maintains the clean barrel. Be sure to run a dry patch through after the Rem-Oil.....As a very wet bore attracts dust, could cause accuracy problems with your first shot after cleaning, & could seep into the primer of a cartridge & cause it not to fire.

Always spray on your oil, then wipe as much off as you can on the stock, action & outside of the barrel too....A dry gun funtions properly. Too much oil on the gun will cause you nothing but grief.

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Lost Hunta

so what do i put the copper/powder solvent on if a patch comes after that?
"Cari" my M4 carbine

rockinbbar

You use the copper/powder solvent first...on the dirty bore, until it comes out clean... THEN you run a Rem-Oil patch.....Then a dry patch. Never leave the bore with copper/powder solvent in it.

Lost Hunta

really uh oh when i clean my gun i only use Rem-oil. Has that been more so a waste of time?
"Cari" my M4 carbine

rockinbbar

It COULD be a waste of time....Rem-Oil won't cut the copper & powder out of the bore like a good solvent. You could be just running Rem-Oil over the copper & powder deposits in the barrel. Try using a stainless steel bore brush saturated with solvent next time...I'll bet you get all kinds of nasty gunk out of there....then use the Rem-Oil. ;)

Rockinbbar

Marlin917VS

Thanks for explaining that rockinbbar, I just heard what I was supposed to do and started doing it.  Never really had a reason.  The reason I went with the numbers I did is becuase it uses 2 boxes of centerfire ammo (40 rounds).  Thats just the way I do it.  Later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Lost Hunta

well all i got is Hoppe's and Remoil and a copper brush (i think it's copper anyway the orangeish colored one)
"Cari" my M4 carbine

oneshotman

thanks for the info guys,

rockinbarr, one question for you.  you said to use a stainless steel brush and i see them all the time for sale but i had an old timer that forgot more than i will ever know tell me to never put anything down the barrel that was harder than the barrel itself.  was he missing the mark or was it sound advice.  there must be a lot of people that use them since they are available but i have never used one, only bronze.

thanks to all for sharing your knowledge.

Lost Hunta

BRONZE BRUSH thats right not copper!!!phaaa!!
ok im done there now i would like a procedure for break-in with my supplies. 3pc rod with jag, Hoppe's solvent, remoil, bronze brush, and patches of old shirts. thanks
"Cari" my M4 carbine

bronko22000

I guess I'm too late to answer this but a bit of advice. You should never shoot your rifle with oil in the barrel or chamber.  "seasoning" with oil in the barrel is nonsense.  You ain't gonna fry eggs in in.
The copper solvent is necessary however. And the method of Breaking in is Ok.
The method varies as to number of shots between cleaning but the objective is the same. You shoot say 3 rounds, run a patch of solvent through the bore and let it set for about 5 mins to dissolve the copper. Then run dry patches through until clean.  Shoot 3 more rounds, re-clean as before.  Do this for a MINIMUM of 7 times.  (Some people say to clean between each shot)
The Idea is to remove the minor imperfections in the barrel and to make the surfaces as smooth as possible to eliminate or greatly reduce the amount of fouling in the barrel  which is detrimental to accuracy.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Well, there is always at least 3 ways to do things!

There is the RIGHT way...the WRONG way...and then there is MY WAY!!

Here is the way I do a barrel break-in...and...I certainly don't claim it to be the right way.

One box of ammo-factory or handloads(20 rounds), bronze brushes, LOTS of patches, Hoppe's #9, Hollands "Witches Brew" and Rem-Oil.

Prior to firing the first shot, I run a patch with Hoppes thru the bore followed by a dry patch.
Fire the first round, then 1 patch with Hoppes followed by 20 strokes with a bronze brush loaded with H-WB-then a dry patch.

I do this after each shot for a total of 8 shots. I make rough sight adjustments while I am doing the 8.

Next, I fire a 3-shot group and repeat the cleaning process as discussed above.

I do the 3-shot groups until I run out of the 20 rounds in the box.

After the final dry patch I send 1 patch down the bore with Rem-Oil.

Before I shoot the particular firearm again I run a wet patch of Hoppe's to remove the oil followed by a dry patch. I then fire a "fouling" shot to see where the bullet is hitting on the target, followed by a 3-shot group and then make any sight adjustments. I leave the barrel fouled like this for the balance of the hunting season(hopefully-a successful season)

After the season I use the patch, brush procedure until no more copper(green) shows up on the dry patch. Once again the patch with Rem-Oil and put the rifle away until the next time I decide to shoot.

Any of the ways of cleaning that were mentioned will do the job...My way is probably no better that theirs. Its just the way I do it....:)

Ol' John...:D ;)
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Tags: