Rem 742 Maintenance

Started by Fortunate Son, January 10, 2005, 10:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fortunate Son

How do I remove the bolt from a Remington 742?  Do I have to remove the barrel and take it out the front of the receiver?  

The NRA disassembly guide and all other resources I have access to do not address this.  I have tried the Remington web site and cannot find anything there either.  

Hopefully someone out there has run into this before....
Mike In MS
NRA For Life
Army For 30

Fortunate Son

HELP!

I still need help with this one.  Got distracted with other projects but I really need to get the old 30-06 back in action before deer season opens.  If no one knows how to go about this, maybe someone could point me in the direction of another web site that may have an answer.

Thanks much for any and all input.
Mike In MS
NRA For Life
Army For 30

buckshot roberts

;) Hey, Fortunate son, Is the 742 working ok?, I know someone who uses a 742 rem, in 30-06," a word of caution you should not use the remington express 30-06 ammo",  Stay with the 150 grain ammo,  He had his bolt slam back and had to take it to a gunsmith, I know that it takes a special wrench, , He is going to give me the info on taking it down, so give me a day, or two and I pm it to you.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Jay Edward (deceased)

Hyar ye be FS:

Jay Edward (deceased)

Here is the other part (and I am not suggesting that you do this).

Fortunate Son

Buckshot

Thanks for taking the effort to try and track this down.  The rifle was not working okay.  I suspect I have a broken firing pin.  I keep it pretty clean and have not had problems in the past.  The hammer will drop, but the firing pin will not move forward.  It is either broken or fouled somehow.  

Jay

Thank you very much for the feedback.  I am printing a copy and will take it home.  Hoepefully tonight I will be able to take a close look and determine weither I want to try it.   I have it down to the barreled action (with bolt in the receiver) now but would have to take the bolt out to inspect the firing pin.  It is as I suspected, you have to take the barrel off.  I am reluctant to do so since I do not have the proper spanner wrench, etc.  This one may have to go to a smith....

:(
Mike In MS
NRA For Life
Army For 30

buckshot roberts

You are welcome FC, Just let a gunsmith look at it, and good luck.:)
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Jay Edward (deceased)

Here's another disassembly procedure FS.

Fortunate Son

Thanks Jay

This one is a little easier to read/understand.
Mike In MS
NRA For Life
Army For 30

whacker1

I haven't been on here in a long time, but I recently came across a 742 and wanted to thank those that posted the information in this thread, because it was extremely helpful.

Tags: