Briley shotgun inserts

Started by cjsblacksmithing, January 08, 2005, 11:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjsblacksmithing

I have an 1875 remington sxs with damascas barrels , and I was courious if wether or not I could use these inserts safely in this shotgun to bring it back into service? If anybody can give me some advice on this I'd certainly appreiciate it.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: cjsblacksmithingI have an 1875 remington sxs with damascas barrels , and I was courious if wether or not I could use these inserts safely in this shotgun to bring it back into service? If anybody can give me some advice on this I'd certainly appreiciate it.
[/size]

If by 'back into service' you mean shoot smokeless powder and use steel shot...the answer is 'No'.  You'd be inviting trouble in a big way.

If you mean to use blackpowder and lead...the answer depends on the condition of those barrels.  Those are hammer welded barrels and need to be inspected for your own safety.

gitano

I called Briley at (713)932-6995 www.briley.com . Here is their response.
QuoteIf your shotgun is in good working order, you can shoot modern loads including steel in your shotgun fitted with Briley tubes.
Briley tubes are full-length tubes and you miust send your shotgun to them for fitting.

Depending on the gauge to gauge conversion, the cost ranges from $399 (12 ga to 20 ga) to $549 (12 ga to .410).

There are other options as well. First, there are several sources for blackpowder shotgun loads. Second, again providing your shotgun is field-worthy, you CAN shoot low-pressure (8,000 PSI or less) smokeless, LEAD ONLY loads. There are even some factory 8,000 PSI loads. I've been down this road trying to get my grandfather's old "drugstore" SxS back into the field. If you want more info, send me a PM.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

cjsblacksmithing

Thankyou for the advice. sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

Tags: