regulations

Started by Antler3, January 04, 2005, 01:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antler3

We have regulations here in Arkansas that prevent us from using anything other than a 22 rimfire or shot no larger than t while the archery deer season is open, does anyone else have those regulations? Archery deer season is over Feb.15th , and predator season is over Feb. 28th. So gives us about 13 days to hunt with a different weapon. Just curious...:confused:
ANTLER 3

rockinbbar

A3,
No, no regs. like that here. Sounds as is some lawmakers got mixed up again....:)
The .22 mag Marlin I have, I feel secure out to 100 yards on a coyote, but I'd still rather have a .223 or something like it...

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

NUMBERFARMER

There is nothing like that here in colorado.  There are some limitations on calibers of rifles that you can carry during the regular rifle deer season if you are not hunting deer.  In certain areas you are limited to .224 caliber rifles or smaller if you are not hunting deer.  This rule does not apply to all areas however.  I am not sure what the purpose is, but then there are a lot of things in life I don't understand.

Antler3

I have just been hearing alot about the different varmint rifles and such that everyone uses for predators, and was just curious of any regulations. Seems like everything here revolves around deer season. Now don't get me wrong I love to deer hunt but doesn't leave much time for varmints. We are allowed to take coyote and bobcat during firearms deer season with weapon legal for deer, so far i have been using the 30-30 that I deer hunt with, but saw a beautiful tanned pelt on back of couch and would love to have one. Have looked at some ideas on tanning them myself and am interested. So might have to buy me a 22 mag. to save pelt damage...has to be a rimfire rifle, right now only have 22 rimfire LR. I'm thinking would have to make very good shot to be able to recover the game with just the little 22. Thanks for all the info. I do appreciate ya'll.
ANTLER 3

giterdone

I just bought a remington .17 rimfire. It shoots a 17 grain bullet at 2550 f/s with a necked down 22-mag case. I shot a coyote two weeks ago with it at 100 yards. Ended up tracking this coyote about 150 yards in the snow. The shot was not the best I hit it in the neck. But that little bullet does alot of internal damage. Small entry whole, is the size a b b gun b b. no exit. Great gun for saving fur. Usually I like to take the shot at 50 yards in the chest and it will just turn their lungs in to mush. Good luck.

OregonBoy

You can carry a .22-caliber centerfire during deer season, but in most units you have to be carrying .243 or larger during elk season. The F&W don't make a big deal out of what you carry for varmints during bear and cougar seasons, although you're supposed to have at least a .22-centerfire if you're actually hunting one of the above.

Daryl (deceased)

You can hunt whatever is in season here with pretty much whatever you want, whenever you want.

There are a few restrictions, but they're mostly common sense.  Any firearms not banned or restricted by fed law (full auto, silencers, etc) are legal for coyotes.  Big game requirements are for centerfire rifle, centerfire handgun, shotgun shooting slugs, or muzzleloaders (no caliber restrictions on any of them). Turkey can also be hunted with a .22 WRM rifle and shotguns shooting shot in addition to those listed above.

I think that Arizona expects hunters to have some common sense, and for the most part they do.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

yotecurhunter

I'm amazed they regulate coyote season at all.  Here, shoot them with anything anytime.  However, bobcats are considered a furbearer so these rules do not apply to cats.  Only predators which is skunk, coon, porcupine, coyote, red fox.
Sean G. Harrison

Antler3

Yotecur, this is only during deer season. If your coyote hunting and a deer season is open you have to carry whatever is legal for that deer season. Or a rim fire. We have an extended season on coyote and bobcat , It used to go from April through June, and I'm pretty sure they have made it longer for 2005. You are allowed to carry weapon legal for whatever season may be open or a rim fire ( or shot no larger than t) During spring turkey you would only be able to carry whatevers legal for turkey and so forth. If there is not any season open we can carry up to a 30 caliber for coyote and bobcat. We are allowed two per species per day. Fox is also considered a fur bearer in my parts.
ANTLER 3

HARRY SACZ

Nithing like that here in ND, but i did enjoy shooting at coytes when i was deer hunting.

Kit

This is interesting -- this article (below) on Wolf regs
 ----
 (*The teaser-link was twisted and said
 that the ranchers were mad the restrictions
 were eased...talk about media spin sheesh.*)
 -----
 http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,144950,00.html

[posted for educational purposes only
 Copyright 2005 FOX News Network, LLC.  All rights reserved.]

Wolf Rules Rile Ranchers, Wildlife Advocates                         Thursday, January   20, 2005

SEATTLE — The gray wolf's recovery has been an incredible comeback story for some but a major headache for others.                                                            Now, as the wolves are about to lose some of their legal protections, there's plenty of people worrying on both sides.

The gray wolf went from being nearly extinct 10 years ago in the northern Rockies to a current population of more than 800 roaming in the states of Wyoming, Montana and Idaho.

Over the last decade, this predator, which sits on top of the food chain, has been so protected that ranchers could only kill a wolf when it was on their property and engaged "in the act of killing" livestock.

That changes in a couple of weeks, ranchers will now be able to kill wolves on public or private land for just "threatening" sheep and cattle.

Wildlife advocates say "de-listing" the animal is the ultimate goal, but they worry that some will view these relaxed rules as open season on wolves.

"If the decline in wolves is great, if there's a slaughter going on," said Roy Farrar, president of the Wolf Education and Research Center in Lewiston, Idaho, "of course everybody is going to step back in. That's not the intent."

But ranchers say the rule change doesn't go far enough. They've watched as the multiplying wolf packs have killed hundreds of cows, well over 1,000 sheep and scores of wild-game animals such as deer and elk.                                                                         Weiser, Idaho, sheep rancher Harry Soulen lost more than 300 sheep last year alone, costing him some $50,000.

"I think these wolves ought to be treated just like coyotes," said Soulen. "When you see them out there, you should be able to take care of the problem, shoot 'em, get rid of them any way you can."
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kit

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,146049,00.html

update on wolf regs posted for educational purposes

Judge Overturns Relaxed Wolf Protections                         Tuesday, February  01, 2005

GRANTS PASS, Ore.  — A federal judge ruled Tuesday that the Bush administration violated the Endangered Species Act  when it relaxed protections on many of the nation's gray wolves.    

The decision by U.S. District Judge Robert E. Jones  in Portland rescinds a rule change that allows ranchers to shoot wolves on sight if they are attacking livestock, said Michael Robinson of the Center for Biological Diversity, an environmental group.

In April 2003, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service divided the wolves' range into three areas and reclassified the Eastern and Western populations as threatened instead of endangered.

The Eastern segment covers the area from the Dakotas east to Maine, and the Western segment extends west from the Dakotas. The agency left wolves in the Southwest classified as endangered.

Ed Bangs, wolf recovery coordinator for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, said the agency is looking at the ruling to see what its implications are.

"We haven't had a wolf killed by a private citizen defending private property since the new rule went into effect," Bangs said. "I think most of it now is more in the potential range."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tags: