Elk stew recipe?????

Started by Vermonster, October 30, 2009, 09:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vermonster

What's up guys and gals.  Been really busy, and working a different shift, so I have not posted in some time.  Looks like everyone is doing well.

Anyway, I have a couple of pounds of elk chunks burning a hole in my freezer, and the weather is getting cooler, so I thought a stew might be in order.

So, fire away.  Gimme a good stew recipe, or chili, I'll take either.... :biggthumpup:

Daryl (deceased)

Hey Vermonster; it's been a while!

I don't know that I've ever done an "exact" recipe for such a thing.

Take about a lb of stew meat (your choice on type), and sear it just a bit in a skillet with just a bit of vegetable oil (a tbsp or 2 will do).  If you want a thick stew, add a bit of flour to the meat as it finishes searing.  If not, then just sear it.

Put it in a crock-pot with chunked potatoes, carrots, whole kernel corn (frozen or canned), celery, tomatoes (I used canned stewed tomatoes; Rotel brand if you like it spicey), a can of tomato sauce, a dash or two of tabasco, a few diced jalapenos (depending on taste), fill the crock-pot almost full with water, and when it's done add some garlic salt and/or salt, and pepper to taste.  I put the stuff together in the morning and then let it cook all day.

Or, just add whatever combination of the above ingredients you want or have available at the time.  I just made a big stew the other day and froze most of it.  I'm going to use it like ice in the ice chests on my deer hunt, and have them for a quick dinner when I come in tired and hungry.  Mine was made with buffalo, but it's good with any kind of meat.
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Rick

Cut it up into whatever size chunks you want to use in your stew.  Mix flour, seasoned salt, garlic powder and black pepper together, place in a baggy and shake the chunks of meat in it.  Brown them in a little oil in the stew pot.   Add onions now if you like them cooked with the meat (or you can add them later with the rest of the veggies if you like them a little more solid.)   Add water, beef bouillion cubes per the directions for the amount of water.  Simmer meat for an hour or so - don't over boil it.   Add carrots, celery and then potatoes about 10 minutes later.  (If you are adding onions at this stage, add them with the potatoes.)    If you like a "red" stew, you can add tomoato sauce or paste.  Season to taste with salt, pepper, garlic, and whatever other spices you like - Italian herbs, bay leaf, file', tobasco or other hot sauce, etc.   When veggies are about done, mix a 1/4 cup of flour with 1 cup of water to make a paste.  Add this to the simmering pot to thicken the broth.   Then enjoy.

If you like dumplings with your stew, add them before thickening the broth - you may not need to thicken it after the dumplins cook.   Cook the dumplings per recipe directions.

You can basically use this recipe for chicken stew, too - just boil the chicken instead of brown it, use chicken broth and change the spices as you like.    (A little sage works well here.)

Tags: