"Turkey Heaven"

Started by buckshot roberts, October 05, 2009, 06:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

:smiley: With about three weeks till turkey season opens, I got very lucky. One of the guys at work was telling me about when he was moving his cows, He saw a large numbers of turkeys by the woodline at one end of his pasture, said I should come out and take me two this fall. I went out last monday and did some scouting, :eek: this is 200 acers of pasture with hardwood and heavy brush, the pasture was was heavy with insects, I found me a spot and worked out an area for the turkeys to dust in,(off to the right of my truck by the tree) as where still having hot weather days, i set up my cam, put out a few hands of corn.........
:biggthumpup: Went back today...........this may be a good season..
OBTW I can deer hunt this also.........Ron

We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Alboy

Some decent beards and I think I saw an impressive set of spurs. good luck looks like you got the makings.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

davidlt89

great to hear Ron, I bet you are right in heaven!!! Hope to see some pics in three weeks! bagging yourself a turkey and a deer in the same day would not be that bad! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

bowhunter 51

Looks like a gold-mine to me, Ron...Could be some nice
whitetail hunt'n in there, too...I think the force is with
you........................Good luck...:biggthumpup: ..............................BH51...
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

gitano

Turkey heaven, hunh. S'pose that is if you're not a turkey. :D

Looking forward to dead turkey pictures...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Antler3

Good Luck Ron !  Hope you getcha a couple a bigguns' !  Game and Fish closed our fall season 6 days before bow opener. Books were already out and we all have our tags. Allot of us are pretty confused as to how they can close season so soon to the opener. I am not what you would say against the closing of season it's just the way they went about it.
ANTLER 3

buckshot roberts

A3 I hate to here that.did anyone say why, this may be the best season I've had in the last 3 seasons. I'm going to set up my blind this monday, there coming up('bout 300 yards) out of this heavy wooded area to feed out in the pasture, it'll be down to me just way-laying one..........Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

gitano

Quoteit'll be down to me just way-laying one..........Ron
[/I]
:biggthumpup:

To quote Hunterbug,

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your strategy sucks."

I love those eastern hardwoods. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

We don't have turkeys to hunt down here but I'd sure loved to go out with a rifled 12 gauge shotgun  and get me some.

All the best Ron can't wait to see some pics.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

I'd think turkeys (Meleagris gallopava) would do very well in Australia. Considering all the introduced species there, I'm a little surprised that turkeys haven't been.

Slugs aren't a common projectile used for turkey hunting, and in many places slugs from shotguns and all rifles are prohibited. However, there'd be nothing wrong with that. The primary reason slugs aren't used is that most folks want to eat the turkey they shoot, and if you shoot a turkey in the body with a shotgun slug, you ruin a lot of meat. Trying to hit a turkey in the head with a slug is VERY challenging. Most foks use number 4 or number 2 shot, and aim for the head. That way, even if some pellets go into the body, there isn't much meat ruined.

Paul

By the way Buckshot, how'd it turn out?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

"jorge" pauls right 'bout the slugs...........paul i have not seen any number two shot for a very long time, i don't know were i could get any around here.....season opens this saturday..... i'll miss opening day, but i'm taken the whole week off...........Ron

Jorge in Oz

No.4 shot will have to do then. I need to buy myself a decent shotty. Can't decide if side by side or over and under. I do like the old school english sxs shotguns.

Thanks guys for the enlightenment, we don't hear too much about turkey hunting around the parts but it sound exciting to me.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Tags: