Limpets (Picture Heavy)

Started by ladysav, September 28, 2009, 11:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladysav

I eat almost anything especially if caught/gathered myself been on and on at Richie that we should try Limpets (he has been trying to put me off TRYING is the word )

We gathered some Limpets the other week, just a few (we only take home what we can use)

Fresh off Port Eynon rocks me & Rich Kicked off a few medium sized limpets for me to "taste test" ...
Here are the pictures and a in detail explanation on how I cleaned them through to cooking them :smiley:

The Limpets:-

Rinse thoroughly in fresh water, drain and then enter your finger into the live limpet with a lifting movement:-

The limpet meat (and guts) should be removed like this:-

Remove ALL the sack shown in the picture below to reveal the "foot" (well head body & foot)
Discard all the innard's and a black like membrain on the Limpet. :-

Heat a frying pan till bubbleing with butter and a half sliced clove of garlic and a squeeze of lemon/lime juice, salt & black pepper.
Flash fry (I mean flash) for about 5 seconds each side and serve :thumbup:

Voilla Limpets a la Jeni :biggthumpup:

The taste was not as bad as some TV presenters make out
Yes abit "chewy" but no more so than cockles or small whelks, I agree less flavoursome but worth the effort as an hors douvres don't be put off by what people tell you about tasteing things.

Heres the pictures from another days catch known as "Slipper Limpets"

Slipper Limpets on the boil (20 mins)

After a good boil ready to extract from there shells :smt117

This is what a cooked in the shell Slipper Limpet looks like.

An extracted slipper limpet (very snail like :)  )

I put my horde in the wazzer (blender) on full for about 40 seconds... dash of olive oil and 1/2 a lemon juice.

The result not quite a pate (yet) but after this experiment I have a few ideas to make it so :undecided:

The real crispy proper seaweed below and WAS great!

A good bagfull of "Gut Weed" seaweed washed through several times.

HOT Oil needed for this I used Sunflower Oil and 1 tablespoon of Sesame Oil (It spits pretty bad so be careful!)

When its done within about 10-15 seconds.

The result!!!

Proof of the puddings in the eating and I DID! :

Served with homemade melba toast and side salad.

Jeni

RatherBHuntin

Now that looks pretty good.  I love seafood, and will eat anything that comes out of the sea without reservation, as I've never even come close to getting something I didn't like.  I do like seaweed, as a salad or used as a garnish.  I imagine they taste something like clams?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

ladysav

Quote from: RatherBHuntin;97542I imagine they taste something like clams?

Hiya :smiley:

I'll be honist and say the "Common Limpets" are quite chewy..and have a slight seafood flavour (Clams are much better) apparently quite popular in spain cooked as is in the shell wich I haven't tried as yet their methods of cooking them, normally they are added to pasta I belive.

The Slipper Limpets are abit like a Mussel flavour with a twist thats the only way I could really discribe them :)

Jeni

bowhunter 51

We got fresh-water mussels here....I've eaten a few but
not really that fond of them..I quess they are an acquired
taste...they are plentiful in the creeks & rivers .........BH51..
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

rockinbbar

Those look great!

Makes me wanna go get some fresh seafood....It's  alittle hard to come by here in NM, though. :)

I'd be interested to see what other kinds of wild game you can cook up.
You have a talent for presentation too.

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

ladysav

Thanks Barry Ive got loads of recipes to be honist going to dig out a few photo's from quite a few previous meals we've done soon got a simple but tasty recipe for Bull's heart, lambs heart, venison etc etc etc lol! planned as soon as I can find the photo's we took lol!

Jeni

Tags: