Wild Plums

Started by LvrLover, September 05, 2009, 10:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LvrLover

Found a bunch of wild plum trees on the edge of an alfalfa field during our last hay crop and have been watching them with the field glasses. Today I got out and walked over(don't drive on alfalfa fields!) and they are perfect. Some fall off as you touch them. Hope to go pick them tomorrow. Now I have to decide weather to make jelly or some fine vino. And while I was out saw a bunch of elderberries almost ready to go too. Again, same dilemma once harvested. Of course we could just eat everything fresh too. Not a bad choice any way I go I guess.:smiley:
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

jesusgecko

I say do all of the above.
Normality is for the weak.

bowhunter 51

Wild plum use to be real popular in the hedge rows around here, but not so much anymore for some reason...only know of one big-un right now...
but now elderberry grows  everwhere and makes a good home-made
spirited beverage:D ...............................................................................BH51...
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

gitano

I haven't been around wild plums since I was aout 12. Wld plums, wild pears, wild persimmons, and mulberries were all for the having if you knew where to find them. And a 12-year-old that lived in the woods his every waking hour knew where to find them. Actually, in retrospect, the battle between me, the 'possums, and the 'coons, for these choice treats was pretty humorous. Being armed only with human 'wit', the playing field was fairly level.

Wish I had your dilemma... :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: