Bachelor Marinated Dove Brochettes

Started by TackyDriver, July 30, 2009, 12:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TackyDriver

This is so simple that I like to call it a “bachelor recipe”.  A bachelor with little cooking experience could throw this together at short notice and look like he knows what he’s doing. The marinade also works well with turkey, poultry and pork. I don’t recommend using bachelors for the marinade, but I have known quite a few marinated bachelors in my bar-hopping days oh so long ago:

Marinade:
  • Garlic Powder applied generously. Use garlic salt only as a last resort since there’s plenty of salt in the Soy Sauce.
  • 1 bunch (1 handful in metric) Rosemary Needles
  • Soy Sauce to cover in bowl or less if marinated in bag
Note: Quantities are left vague on purpose. Use the TLAR (That Looks About Right) method of judging quantities. The only thing you can overdo is time marinating the breasts. The beauty of this recipe is that you can throw it together in a hurry. I’ve gotten away with as little as 90 minutes soak time. You can take a little longer with pork or turkey.

Brochettes:
  • Anaheim chiles, Canned Whole Ortega Chiles or, if you have nothing else, green bell pepper cut into 1.5x1.5 inch (3.81cm) squares
  • Sliced onion, cut into 1 x 1 inch (2.54 cm) pieces
  • Cherry or wedge cut Tomatoes
  • Mushroom Caps
  • 3-6 Wild Dove Breasts per skewer depending on whether everyone limited out
Directions:
  • Clean Dove and separate breasts. Keep skin on breasts if possible. Save rest of body for soup stock or gravy in other dishes.
  • Arrange breasts front side up in shallow container.  Lift skin along outside edges and douse with Garlic Powder in between skin and breast meat.
  • Bend Rosemary Needles to break and slide in between skin and breast meat. Leave loose needles in bottom of pan to mix with soy sauce. Pull skin back over breasts.
  • Pour Soy Sauce to cover. Cover container and throw into refrigerator 3 hours max. It’s really easy for the marinade to overwhelm the taste of the dove breasts. If you are marinating in a plastic bag, put seasoned breasts and loose rosemary into bag first and then add soy sauce. Squeeze bag on closing to eliminate air. You won’t have to turn the breasts for even coverage that way.
  • After marinating breasts, slide the different ingredients onto skewers. Experience has shown me that you're best off inserting skewer from back of breast, next to breast bone. Then you can slide an onion slice over the front and nestle a tomato in behind the breast. Arrange the rest of the ingredients as it suits you. If you want, reserve marinade. If grilling with wooden skewers, soak them first in water so the exposed ends don’t char. To prevent the pieces from rotating on the skewers when turning, use two skewers in parallel for each brochette/kebab.
  • Pour reserved marinade into sauce pan and add water about equal to 1/4 of the volume of the marinade. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer while grilling/broiling brochettes.
  • Use medium high flame on grill or broil at about 400F/205C.
Cook for approximately 10 minutes while turning frequently. Check for doneness.
  • When breasts are done, remove from heat, let rest for 5 minutes and then slide off of skewers onto a bed of rice on each plate.
  • Use heated marinade for pouring onto rice.
  • Enjoy!
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

bowhunter 51

Dove season starts here September 1st...and I bought some wood
skewers just the other day...got all the ingredients to include the cherry
'mators except the Rosemary needles...ain't never tried that...must be
a dominate seasoning...should I get my hands on some, I may try that
one, TD..........sounds like a good'n...........................................................BH51...
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

TackyDriver

Hey BH51, I hope you enjoy. Let me know how it turns out. I can always use the feedback, especially if I missed something in the instructions. The rosemary can be a strong flavor but the real thing to watch out for is the soy sauce. It'll make the breasts saltier than all get out if marinaded too long.

drinksgin (deceased)

I really do not  under stand why you would use rosemary, why not just drench the food in pure spirits of turpentine?
It tastes the same!
You could just make a pesto of pine needles, save the marinade time.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

TackyDriver

DrinksGin, you're killing me.:rolleyes: I have found that the interplay of garlic, soy sauce and rosemary make a new flavor that might appeal even if you don't like rosemary by itself. All I can say is give the recipe a try on a small batch and see if you or anyone else around you might like it. I'm not above using the guinea pig approach myself.

I'll find a way to survive if you don't ever try it. My mom always said that if everyone liked the same thing, it would be a boring world and there would be more shortages. I've got another recipe coming that doesn't use rosemary at all. In it you can use all of the dry vermouth you don't use in your Martini's.

TackyDriver

Addendum:

Brush the brochettes/kebabs with olive oil before placing them on the grill. It keeps them from sticking, seals the juices and is supposed to keep your coat shiny. I've used canola and corn oil in a tight spot and it works OK. I find that olive oil gives a little more taste that you can detect even over the flavor of "turpentine".:grin: Also putting a mushroom cap on each end helps compress and hold things together when you are "single sticking it".

I recommended soaking the skewers to prevent the ends from charring on the grill. Sometimes that will make the point of the skewer too soft to easily penetrate the bone on either side of the "keel" on the breast bone. I don't mind a little charred wood in my food but if you do, you can wrap the ends of the dry skewers with metal foil after you've loaded the skewers. That will shield the ends from the heat and contribute to the look that you know what you're doing even if you really don't: especially if you're trying to impress wives/chicks/sheilas/birds/whatever term you use.

drinksgin (deceased)

The drinksgin is not accurate, I go for vodka and tonic with lime, dry or sweet vermouth is not on my preferred list, chenin blanc is more my style.
The $10 a gallon Gallo sherry is about right for cooking with, I CAN drink it, if forced to the wall, so I am not violating Justin's rule of not cooking with something I will not drink.
;D
I wanted drinks for my email but it was taken, Yahoo advised adding some random numbers to drinks but I hate numbers so it tried adding beer, wine, coke, rum, tea and several others, all taken, finally tried gin, it was not taken so, it is now.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

Y'know, I wuz thinkin' the same thing as Don about the rosemary, but I'm game for anything once. I think TD's explanation regarding the mixture of spices may be the mitigating factor. I love the smell of rosemary, and grow it when I can, but eatin' it... OY! I'm not a big fan of sage or thyme either. Again, Don's comparison to pine needles hits pretty close to the mark for my tastes.

I'll give it a try though.

I'll prolly through in some of Don's onions too.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

noel

Gitano;your probably not a fan of parsley or simon and garfunkel either!lol! I'm thinkin' that after that recipe T.D. should maybe be TA!DAH!(music miestro) keep your stick on the ice!
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!
member;National Fiirearms Assocciation
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
gun owners of Canada
North American Hunting Club

LvrLover

Actually pine needles are an OK seasoning if used sparingly! Also make a passable tea. Juniper or some of its berries are better than plain pine though.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

TackyDriver

Quote from: drinksgin;95230The drinksgin is not accurate,
[/SIZE]
You can say that again, especially about the rosemary. I'm just kidding. If you're not sure, use less rosemary. Your TLAR may be different from someone else's. It's easier to add more than it is to take out too much. You can always try it out on someone else if you don't like it yourself. I'm not much of a "foo-foo" cocktail drinker but the best banana daiquiri I ever had was made by a man who had never tasted one. He'd been on the wagon for several years and made them for others to prove to himself that he wasn't "white knuckling" his sobriety.

I can understand the moniker predicament. I was going to use the name "Rimshot" but thought it might raise expectations or give the wrong idea.

TackyDriver

The national drink of Greece is a white wine flavored with pine resin called Retsina. I've tried it and rank it about even with Listerine mouth wash. It was still a step up from my usual bad breath though.

Tags: