A Nice Set of Antlers

Started by Daryl (deceased), June 25, 2009, 07:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl (deceased)

This buck was taken by my wife's dad on Oct 19th, 1971 on government land at Red Creek in Colorado.

My wife and I were in Colorado last week, and took a few pictures of the antlers. One of these days I may get a large cape from something I don't want to mount, and I'd like to get these mounted for mtnpenny's mom.

Anyway, I thought some here might enjoy a picture of a nice set of antlers.  The B&C score was 263 6/8ths non-typical.

:)

A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

recoil junky

DROOL DROOL. :biggthumpup:

Those are  some nice antlers Daryl. I've seen bucks that nice but not as "weird". :eek:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

klallen

my goodness. very nice, daryl.

do ya have any specifics on the spread? inside spread of the main looks like the only weakness on this monster.  but the way he carries mass the entire horn and with all those long stickers ... wow.  can see where the inches would sure add up quickly.  i love it.

a beauty certainly deserving of a shoulder mount.

bowhunter 51

Nice brushpile, Daryl...good balance....I agree...I think they are worthy of
a good shoulder mount.................................................................................BH51..
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Daryl (deceased)

klallen,

My wife has a copy of the scoring sheet here.

The tip to tip spread was 19 7/8".

Greatest spread was 41".

Inside spread of main beams was 21 1/2"

Is that what you're asking about?  Or is there something more specific?

There's a lot of measurements, for sure.  16 points on one side, and 17 on the other.

Anyway a person looks at them, it's an impressing set of antlers IMO.  Not overly wide by any means, but the mass is certainly there.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

TackyDriver

SWEET!:biggthumpup: Racks like those keep hunters out looking for more.
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

klallen

yup, 21 1/2" inside spread for the score is what i was curious about.

that's what i was running through my head with spread and mass. on it's even 4x4, typical measurement maybe a mid-180" horn. impressive by itself. add 80" of character and uniquiness to the total ... again, wow. could look at big mulie trophies all day long.

ya gotta get that one on more then just a home-made wooden plaque, for sure.

mtnpenny

Thanks guys for all the oohhhs and aahhhs.  Dad took this deer when I was not quite a year old so I do not remember a time that it was not hanging above the wood stove.  

When my dad passed away in 2001 his hunting buddy and very good friend, took the rack as it had never had any kind of mount at all just the skull, and did the mount shown for my mom.  He was a very good friend and it took him up until this spring to even get this much done, lots of memories to sift through.

Thanks again for the look.
mtn_penny
Save a life.
Become an organ donor today.

clicky > http://dragcave.net/user/mtnpenny < click

gitano

That's one fine buck!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: