best combo

Started by HOU3, December 31, 2004, 10:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOU3

I have recently perchasted a 270 wsm. I would like some info on the best power scope for it. I am a zeiss and swarovski owner. This is a lightweight rig that I will hunt sheep or rams with. Any ideas or any experiences with this caliber.

Rohann

I don't have experience in that particular caliber, but as for a scope, Burris, Leupold, Zeiss and Swarovski are excellent brands. I recently looked into buying a Burris myself (Burris Signature Select 4x-16x-44mm Mil-Dot), but I need to look around for better prices. You can take a look at the scope: http://www.burrisoptics.com/signature.html

Regards,
-Rohann

Daryl (deceased)

HOU3,

The power of the scope you should use will depend very heavily on what type of shooting you will do.

Higher powered scopes allow for more pinpoint accuracy, but sacrifice field of view.  Lower powered scopes offer greater field of view, but a little less pinpoint accuracy, since the crosshairs cover more of your target.

Variable powered scopes offer a little of each, but you still need to consider the primary use of the rifle.

Are you planning on shooting p-dogs in open fields, deer in the woods, antelope on the plains,....targets?

These are things that I feel should be considered when deciding on a scope, and I feel they are far more important than caliber.

Take care,
Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: HOU3I have recently perchasted a 270 wsm. I would like some info on the best power scope for it. I am a zeiss and swarovski owner. This is a lightweight rig that I will hunt sheep or rams with. Any ideas or any experiences with this caliber.
HOU3,

I have had only one 270 WSM come thru the shop, a new Win-70 w/synthetic stock.  Out of the box accuracy was better than I expected for the few rounds I shot.  Little over an inch for 3 shots @ 100yds.  The 270 WSM is pretty much a short 270 Winchester so should make you a good sheep/goat rifle.  

As to scope...hopefully Gitano will answer to this post as he has vast experiece hunting sheep in Alaska.....I seem to recall that he desired a straight 10X for just this purpose but my memory may not be correct.  A straight power might be less weight than a variable but you would need to compare scope weights on the ones that you might consider.

Ol' John..:cool:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

HOU3

The gun will be used for open land. Mostly sheep or rams. Also looking for this rig to be  light.

Hunterbug

I would go with the Zeiss Conquest 3X9. I really like the optics on the Conquest! I've shot deer at 250 yards with a 4X so I would have no problem with a 9X shooting farther than I would take a shot on game.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: