Previous topic - Next topic

bowhunter 51

One of the bowhunter's passions, is "cooking"...That's right,...I like ta
cook stuff....occasionally, I need inspiration...I broke out this cast iron
pot (pictured below), clean't it up, and wanting to make something
happen, .........something different..Now I've whoop't-up some pretty
mean beans, and stews with this thing and it really goes well with
portable camp stoves (H'bug), but seems to me, I'm just not seeing the
full potential of this thing...Anybody wanna' share some ideas? secrets?
(I promise not to tell)...anything would be appreciated....Thanks..........BH51..
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Daryl (deceased)

Well, your's is not a typical dutch oven with the rim around the lid to hold coals, but I make pretty good bisquits in a dutch oven.  Cooked in cast iron, they have a flavor that can't be quite duplicated when done right.

One my dad, brother, and I came up with once is to cut up a chicken into parts, quarter an onion and some potatoes (leave the skin on the potatoes, and just quarter them), and fry them all together using a little vegetable oil in a cast iron pot (we use a dutch oven, but this recipe doesn't need the coals on the lid so the pot will work fine).

Then, just as it's getting done, add two 8 oz cans of jalapeno salsa (made by El Pato, I think). Remove the lid to brown the mix a bit as it finishes cooking, and turn the lid upside-down on a few coals to be used for heating tortillas.

Or, you can heat the tortillas on a rock near the fire, if you prefer.

Don't forget to turn the pot upside-down on the fire to burn it out, and then scrape it out with a spatula, and wipe it out with some veggie oil and a few paper towels. That way it stays seasoned, and is ready to use again.

I remember a fella up on Seargent's Mesa, near Indian Park in Colorado, who said something like, "I hunt with some guy's who'd object to the way you fellas do dishes, but they'd sure eat your cookin'!"

:)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

RatherBHuntin

Sounds good Daryl, I aint had breakfast yet and you're just about killin me.  Seems you could just flip that lid over and use it liek a Dutch Ovven.  I'm no help on the recipes, sorry Bowhunter.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

mtnpenny

RBH-- I am not sure I would flip the lid cause you might end up with coals and such in your biscuits not that those would hurt ya but they sure might add a burnt flavor.

Really though bowhunter you can cook anything under the sun in that old cast iron.  Pulled pork, fried bologna sammie's you name it.
mtn_penny
Save a life.
Become an organ donor today.

clicky > http://dragcave.net/user/mtnpenny < click

Vermonster

As Daryl said, biscuits are really good in a dutch oven.  Make some good venison stew, line the top with biscuit dough, and cook..... :biggthumpup:

bowhunter 51

"Hmmmm", ...all this talk about biscuits makes me hungry...might try a
homemade egg noodle thing that I picked up, ( which is about the same
as dumplings) in a meat broth made from juice strained from cooking
mustard greens...and by the way, good to have you drop in, Verm', "long
time, no hear"....chunk up some venison, lets see...what else I got?...
maybe alittle chicken, ham and sirloin tip....of course onion, sliced carrots
and a dinky bit of something green...diced green bell pepper, sounds good.
Slow cook it on a portable camp stove....humidity been so high, can't keep
a cigar lit, around hear lately, much less coals....maybe I'll come up with
something that wont make a buzzard hurl....Seems to me,...cast iron tends
to lend a different taste to stuff....maybe it's simply the smell, as smell &
taste are closely associated...I dunno...but it's reminiscent of a time when
Grandma cooked, and everything cooked on cast iron........................BH51..
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Brasco20

I have a dutchoven, but dont have any recipes for ya.  But i do watch a show on RFDTV called   " Dutch Oven and Camp Cookin "   The guy on that show does a real good job and has some great lookin recipes, but they are just a little too complicated for me to do at camp.  When camping, im a steak and burger type of guy, but those dutch oven meals would be great, especially after a hard hunt.

Brasco

Tags: