"Jive" turkeys

Started by buckshot roberts, May 11, 2009, 08:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

:greentongue: what a season....the turkeys kind'a started mating a little over two weeks before season opened, and one day I found myself and two other hunters, hunting in the same 6 acre area...and the one time I called one in using my decoy's he came within a few feet of me, yep right behind me... Now of all the places I should of have been hunting........My deer feeder...I took some corn out today and found a lot of sign were turkeys have been feeding........I set in the tree stand for a few hours and a lone hen come out to feed....she went down the trail from the clearing over to were a group of falling trees are...I'd say she has a nest in that area.....may be seeing some young in about 30 days........

Hope ya'll had a good season.....Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Antler3

Thanks for the update. I'm a little slow in posting but my season ended good. I was about to leave town on Tuesday morning before season ended the following Friday. I saw a gobbler before season while out looking for mushrooms. I went back several times during season and couldn't find him nor could I find any turkeys anywhere around the areas that I normally hunt. So I was gonna give up for this year. That Tuesday morning I was on the back porch drinking my first cup of hot coffee when I thought I heard a gobble from the area I had saw that gobbler. About 15 minutes later a cow bawled and sure enough that ol' bird sounded off three times in a row. I grabbed my gear and got suited up and took off. It was about a mile behind the house across the cow fields. At the end of a big field there is a big pine grove I thought he might be roosting in. So I circle around and cross a small growed up holler littered with ice-storm debris. I come up out of the holler and into the end of this big field. Took out my box call and yelped a couple times and he sounded off with a double gobble. The sound echoed and I couldn't tell if he was in the field or down in the holler behind me. So i eased on down the end of the field to make sure and I spotted him coming toward me hard. It was real foggy that morning and you couldn't see far. I jumped behind some brush real quick and got my diaphram in my mouth and was ready for him. There happened to be a little rise in the field directly in front of me and when I sat down I couldn't see the gobbler. I clucked a couple times and he gobbled about four times. He was so close I could hear the rumble. Had I stood up he would have been about 15 to 20 yards right in front of me. He strutted back and forth gobbling hard. I never heard one gobble so many times. All I could do was wait and when he went silent I would cluck and he'd gobble again. He must have got suspicious after about 15, 20 minutes of this, when the hen wouldn't come to him, and he started off to my left and as the small rise in the field lowered as he got farther to my left I saw his head appear and then his neck. I had only a small window of opportunity at that very instant cause he was about to disappear behind a fallen tree top. I had to raise my gun a little higher and he spotted movement and paused and that's all I needed to take him home with me. 10 1/2 inch beard 22#'s and 1/2 inch nubbin spurs. Hope everybody had a good season !!
ANTLER 3

RatherBHuntin

Nice bird Antler3, and nice pics Ron
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Antler3

Here is a picture of this years gobbler
ANTLER 3

Antler3

One more picture
ANTLER 3

buckshot roberts

:MOGRIN: nice tom A3....some of the farms were letting turkey hunters use there land for around 200 bucks... some were even doing guided hunts.. never were any turkeys in the area of the deer feeder....untill two weeks ago... Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

Nice bird and a good write up Antler, congrats on a good season.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

rockinbbar

Great season for you!

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Tags: