turkey season

Started by davidlt89, April 14, 2009, 07:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

our turkey season opens on the 4th of May. I am scheduled to take the 4th and the 5th off and head downstate to a friends house. I am taking two friends from my church with me who have never turkey hunted so I don't expect to get much shooting myself in. I would love to see these guys fill their tags. They are pretty excited and are asking a lot of questions, they would leave tonight if we could.
Now, I know some of you are in turkey season right now but I have only seen one post indicating this. Who has been out so far? let us know what is going on:biggthumpup: ! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

buckshot roberts

david... :huh: i'm still scouting at this time.. I have two farms I can hunt on  one had turkeys last fall,  all I've seen are deer and fat squirrels.....I'll come back for them LOL..............Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

davidlt89

Keep at it Ron! Hope to see some turkey pics soon from ya!!! God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Antler3

Well I have been out and out and out. But no Birds !  Opening morning I jumped over a county and heard two across the creek but couldn't get them to come over. From then on I have been here around the house where I usually fill my tags each year. But this year NO BIRDS ! I have scouted and looked and listened and not a sign of any. I have searched several of my hunting spots and not a peep. This  is a fairly large area too. I am stumped for sure ....what would make all those birds just up and leave an area ??  :help:      :undecided:
ANTLER 3

Alboy

:biggthumpup: Maybe they heard dead eye annie oakley Antler 3 was on the hunt.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Antler3

LOL !! I have been pretty sneaky though. I am hearing lots of folks in the Northern part of the state are having the same difficulties. :undecided:
ANTLER 3

RatherBHuntin

You been keeping the bobcats and foxes beat down?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Antler3

Haven't taken any this year.  I'll have to tell on myself and say I missed a bobcat and a coyote with my bow this year.  I haven't been hearing the yotes like I used too either come to think of it. There don't seem to be as many of them around now.  I say as many ...I do find the scat from time to time so I'm sure there are a few.  I have one more field to check. Gonna be difficult getting over to it through the woods.  We have timber down across all the loggin' roads from the ice-storm.  Normally I could ride the four wheeler right to it.  I'll have about a mile and a half or better walking in there and then come back.  Of course that means crawling over and under all the brush and tree tops along the way. BUT ..... It'll all be worth it if I find the birds :antlers: .
ANTLER 3

davidlt89

QuoteI'll have to tell on myself and say I missed a bobcat and a coyote with my bow this year.
It will be our secret!:D
Seriously, it is just incredible you were close enough to get a shot. Getting a bobcat with a bow would be quite a feat!
As far as the turkeys, seems to me it would have something to do with the icestorm. Seems odd though you are having trouble locating birds, but I know you will find them Antler! God Bless.

JordansFever07

I hunted hard my entire spring break and since opening morning when I got a 9 1/2 inch tom I haven't seen any more shooters.

I've seen loads of jakes, plenty of hens but nothing worth putting on the ground. I guess I'll just hold off until the last day and bust a jake if a monster doesn't show... I think I need to sharpen up my  calling.

davidlt89

QuoteI've seen loads of jakes, plenty of hens but nothing worth putting on the ground.
I would of put them down on the ground regardless!! Trophy is in the eye of the beholder. I will level a jake just as fast as a Tom!!!!!!
You are fortunate, we are only allowed one turkey. I just find it fun pulling the trigger! God Bless.

JordansFever07

I believe I'm going to now. My hunting partner just tagged out today on a double bearded jake on the property. He killed another jake this past tuesday so I feel more justified to killing one now. I'm hoping to fill my tags tomorrow after school if I'm lucky.

davidlt89

Hope to see some pictures!!! God Bless.

JordansFever07

I took my little cousin turkey hunting for the first time today and he got an awesome bird for his first this afternoon. I brought him to a 2 man tent blind looking over a soybean field where he harvested a great bird.

9 1/2 in. beard
18-20 lbs.

I put in some attachments of his first and my first. This has been an awesome season so far.

Alboy

Yep got the fever and spreading the bug.

You boys are having a good season, glad to see it.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Tags: