Chili Verde

Started by TackyDriver, March 09, 2009, 04:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TackyDriver

A hunting buddy of mine's Dad passed away last week. My buddy's mom is a wonderful woman so I thought it would be good for my wife and I to cook up some food so that she doesn't have to herself.

I've been wanting to make chile verde for a while now, and cooking some up would be a good deed and clear out some of the wild hog taking up space in the freezer. I found several recipes on the web site for the International Chili Society. The recipe can be found here: http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Recipe_Detail.asp?RecipeID=134&Champ=1  It was the winner of their 2008 World Championship.

The problem that I have with a lot of game recipes is that the meat is so lean that you have to use some other means of keeping the meat moist. Many recipes require wrapping with bacon to do this. That cancels out the advantage of the leaness of the meat. Usng it in chile gets around all that. Don't get me wrong, I love bacon. But it's nice to have options, especially if the Doctor has been giving you a hard time.

Ortega makes canned, mild, green chili's that that are already chopped and seeded, so a lot of the sweat is eliminated. Be sure to brown the meat chunks well because that helps maintain moisture and tenderness without it becoming English boiled meat.

My first try went really well. I have no hesitation serving this to my buddy's mom. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

Tags: