More spotlighting....

Started by kombi1976, January 28, 2009, 01:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

Here are some pics of some spotlighting we did last Sunday night.
It didn't turn out as great as I'd hoped, mainly due to the strong winds that kept most game under cover, but I did manage to get my mate Chris out and he seldom gets to hunt.

Here's the little rabbit I took first using my Anschutz .22lr.
It was really close work and quite an easy shot really.

This fox was a bit fiddly and both Chris and I were pretty proud of nailing him.
And believe me, when you hunt with a spotlight the person wielding the light is as important as the shooter.
The fox must've been a good 80yds out which doesn't seem far but the property, which is usually dry, has had a lot of rain recently, so much so there was water in the ruts of the tracks.
The long grass made it hard to spot him in the first place because as anyone knows who has hunted them foxes can hide behind a blade of grass.
On top of that he hardly stopped moving.
I had no scotch whistle with me so I just tried to whistle like a wounded bird, although I probably sounded more like a lame duck! :o
Curiosity may or may not have killed the cat but it certainly tolled the bell on this fox.
My first shot was aimed at his chest but he moved at the last minute and instead it ripped into his back, paralysed his back legs and immobilised him.
The second was through the boiler room and an instant death.
I used my Sportco Martini Hornet with handloads using Nosler 40gr Ballistic Tips and I never fail to be impressed by this bullet for small game and predators.

And finally just before we left Chris nailed this rabbit.
It was an 80yd shot using my Anschutz .22lr and to begin with he thought he had missed.
The second shot, at more like 90yds, hit its backlegs and it was curtains from there.
When we got up to the rabbit his first shot had disemboweled the rabbit, pretty impressive considering he hasn't shot for over a year, wasn't using his own rifle and the Anschutz is zeroed to 50yds!
I think his smile says it all.  ;)
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

recoil junky

Spotlighting is pretty frowned upon here in Colorado. You can do it but not from the ute. (or Yank tank) Makes no sense to me, why you can't do it from the truck.  I guess it has something to do with not being able to shoot form the vehicle.

While growing up in Montana we used ot go out quite a bit in the winter and spotlight. Got quite a few rabbits, coyotes and foxes. Made some good money that way when a good coyote was bringing upward of $100 and a fox would bring $75. Jack rabbits were thick as bugs on a bumper. Now it's just a fond memory.

Looks like fun kombi :jumpingsmiley:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

In Alaska, there's law against use of ANY artificial light. Currently, the fascists want to make use of 'scopes with lighted reticles illegal because it's "artificial light". Here a few years back, a buddy of mine stepped out on his front porch to shoot a moose in his front yard. He got a major hassle from the FBs because his front porch light was on. The only thing that 'saved him' was that it was the middle of the day, and the FBs had a hard time proving he was "using" the "artificial light" from his porchlight.

HOWEVER, the big difference I see in Australia and most of the US with respect to using "artificial light" is that in Oz MOST of it is directed at non-indigenous species. In the US the contrary is true. Of course I recognize that spotlighting is allowed for kangaroos, and they are certainly indigenous. But the issue might be different if MOST of the Aussie spotlighted critters were indigenous, and only one or two were "exotic". I dunno.

This brings me to the "ethics" issue. There are MANY places in the US that if you stood around a campfire and mentioned 'spotlighting', there would be great harrumphing and lots of 'righteous' indignation over such "outrageously" "unethical" behaviour. And that's precisely my gripe about all the ABSOLUTE GARBAGE spewed about "ethics" these days. It's ALL about self-righteousness, and has NOTHING to do with truth or responsibel, adult behaviour. I'd like someone to argue that ALL the spotlighters in Australia are "unethical" hunters because they use spotlights to shoot what are essentially, vermin.

I'll climb down off this hobby horse now...

Good on ya mate...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

Thanks, Paul.
I agree about the "ethical hunting" rubbish.
The species we hunt with spotlights are pest species.
I'd like to see how well those campfire "ethical" hunters would do against the fox population if all they could do was shoot them in daylight.
Foxes are difficult enough to nail with a spotlight.
Many run at the sound of a whistle or from a light.
So to add an extra difficulty to it would be crazy.
And since traps and snares are now also considered "inhumane" and are illegal we are left with 2 options:
  • Shoot them, and spotlighting is the most effective way.
  • Bait/poison them with 1080 poison and this is truly inhumane.
And I should point out that we don't hunt deer with spotlights.
That is illegal.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

davidlt89

only thing we are allowed to "spotlight" in this state is coyotes, and that is only from jan 1st to june 1st. all other stuff will land you in the clink for awhile. of course, this does not stop some people!
You sure got some small fox there!!! way to go and good for your mate. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

kombi1976

He was just a little one.
I suspect he was of the same litter of cubs that I nailed 2 of in December.
I reckon an older and canny fox would probably have run from us but he kept coming.
Cheers & God Bless

22hornet

Well done on the spotlighting kombi. Cute little fox too. Nice to see the Martini hornet getting a run. That a great cartridge for the spotlight. :biggthumpup:

Paul, I grew up on spotlighting but now I rarely venture out at night. If I want to go hunting, I like to get out and have a walk around during the day. If I want to go shooting, then the spotlight comes out. Getting rabbits for the pot is easier at night, but calling in foxes by the spotlight is harder than calling them in by day!

I understand there is a culture of spotlighting in the UK too. They call it "lamping". A small spotlight is mounted above the scope of the air rifle and you carry a small battery pack and you take a walk around the fields.
If fact the last time I went spotlighting I teamed up with my cousin and wandered around the shearing sheds with some subsonics and a torch. Worked well for us and we were back drinking beers by 10.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

kombi1976

More and more I think I'm in need of a sxs 12g for chasing rabbits in the yards.
Cheers & God Bless

gitano

Or a 16... or a 20... or all of the above...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

Here Here

All of the above plus a 10 and a 410. Rabbits can be treacherous game in the right circumstances.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

22hornet

Quote from: kombi1976;89426More and more I think I'm in need of a sxs 12g for chasing rabbits in the yards.

A sxs hammer gun! :2thumbsup:

Its got to be a sxs!
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

kombi1976

My friend has an old BSA sxs 12g that I'd love to have.
It's quite lightweight and not flashy but very cool.
Mind you, a Bonehill hammer gun does have appeal.
Cheers & God Bless

Tags: