Semi-automatics...Round 2

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), December 27, 2004, 09:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

These next rifles fall more under what I term 'battle rifle', 'sniper rifle' and 'military target sniper rifle'.  Heavier and specific.

They are: Anschutz CA2002...Armalite 10B...Dragunow SWD...HK PSG 1...Johnson 1941...K 43ZF.

Jay Edward (deceased)

The next group are: Ljungmann AG42B...M1 Garand...M14 Service Rifle...Sako TRG42...SAR 8HK63...Springfield M1A.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Last in this series: Swiss ZFK55...Tokarev SVT

rockinbbar

Most of these rifles offer, in my opinion, more to the hunter....

Better, more precise sighting systems, enhanced accuracy, etc...
I'd chose one of these before I'd go for anything in the last batch, that were mostly field grade weapons.

But, once again, the ones in this thread are not my choice.
That being said, if I were on a hunt, & my CHOICE weapon got trashed somehow, & I were offered one of these rifles to finish the hunt, I would & could use the rifle ethically...

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

kombi1976

I actually think a lot of hunters identify with "sniper" reputation i.e. the lone wolf, lethal one shot from 900yards hit on a target the size of an orange. The reality of a snipers existence is quite different of course but the military sniper models sell well because of the accuracy issue too.
And of course bigger cal, high powered cartridges that are offered in these rifles have much more to offer a hunter.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

teddy12b

If the game is taken ethically and a person wants the confidence of a follow up shot then why not.  If the magazine capacity is limited, I don't see the difference between these rifles and a BAR, or Rem 7400 other than looks.  

Are discussing magazine capacity yet or are we staying away from that?

roadkill

These are, all be it generalized as military rifles, all feasible as hunting tools.  I know that my husband has an M1 Garand, a M14 and a M1A1, all of which he has hunted with.  Me, personally, do not like them  for hunting because for my size, 5'4" and 125ish pounds, I cannot carry these very well in the woods.  Not to say I can't but why be uncomfortable with what you plan to hunt with?  I like to plink at the range with them on the rest....but as I keep saying, to each his own....I have suggested and explained many times to many people that a 308 is a 308 no matter what rifle it comes out of.  My suggestion when it comes to such wonderful rifles such as those aboveis that education is everything.  They are not as intimidating to someone who has had the basics of firearms explained to them.  And, thank you, Jay, for not refering to them as "assault weapons" as even the Webster's Dictionary can't verify that description.

deadeye2

I have did quite a bit of hunting all over the lower  48, Alaska, and South Africa. I was afraid for my life one time.

I was hunting with friends about 80 miles northwest of Greenbay, Wi.  I had walked down an old logging road to a dry beaver pound that my friends said was a good spot . I got there before shooting light. About the time I set down to await day light all heck broke loose! I had semi-auto fire coming from three sides. I got down behind the old beaver dam, I had bark and limbs falling on me from the flying bullets! Bite the dirt time! It seemed like this went for ever, really only a few minutes, I guess.  After the shooting stop I got up and looked around the area. I counted four hunter and all were carrying AK's or 7400's with ten shot clips or larger. I walked back to the main road, left the area and will never hunt there again.

At that time it was legal to use large clips in Wi., I don't know if it still is or not. I have shot my share of game and have never fired more than 5 rounds at any animal in my life. I see no need for more than a five shot total loading of any hunting weapon.
Be Safe...Have Fun

deadeye2

RatherBHuntin

These are definately more like it.  I wasn't around, but from what I hear, those US Milsups have taken alot of game in the US, and still are.  Saw a guy at the range the other day with an M-14, he uses it every year for hunting up north, has it all painted white.  These may not be the easiest  tools to carry around all day to get the job done, but not everybody carries anything around all day.  There are plenty hunters in tree stands, ground blinds, box blinds or just shooting off the hood of the truck where legal.  Not a rifle you would want to hunt Dall sheep with, but neither are 90% of those sitting on the rack at the gun store right now.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

llanero

Those rifle pics are making me drool!  Sometimes I wish had quite abit more disposable income layin' around....
There ain\'t too many things a man cain\'t fix with $700 and a .30/06.

Tags: