New Rifle in 6.5

Started by usneagle81, December 27, 2004, 01:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usneagle81

I am looking to build myself a new rifle in a 6.5mm caliber. I have done a lot of reading on the different cartridges availble. I think I am going to go with the 6.5x55 Swede though I have been impressed with the little bit of info I have read about the Ackley Improved version. I plan on reloading for myself and will use the rifle mostly in relativley short ranges. I already have a hefty 300 WSM and am looking for a lighter more enjoyable rifle for deer and the such.

Since the 6.5x55 is already a rather rare cartridge is there any benifits to going to even rarer cartridges like the 6.5x55 AI or the 6.5-06 which have better paper ballistics?

USNEagle

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

USNEagle,

First, allow me to welcome you to The Hunter's Life Forums!  Since your question concerns the absolutely wonderous 6.5 caliber of which I am a leading proponent, I feel oblidged to offer you my views on the particular cartridges you mentioned!

Before I expound I must ask you what action do you intend to build on?  Next question is approximately how many rounds do you intend to send down the barrel a year?  Here is a pic' of some of my favorite 6.5 cartridges.

From left to right they are:

6.5x55 Swede.....6.5x55 BJAI.....6.5 Remington BR.....6.5x08 Ackley....260 Remington....
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

drinksgin (deceased)

6.5x55 is available from several companies, .260 Rem only from Remington, while the 6.5-08 is not a factory load,at least as far as I know, there is a neverending supply of the basic case and it can be loaded up hot or medium or mild as you chose, as you said you intended to reload.
All should work in the shorter actions.
JMO, Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

usneagle81

I am thinking about using a Montana Rifleman barreled action. I doubt I will put all that many rounds through it in a year. At least not in the near future. Right now I am living on a Navy base and cannot have any firearms with me so it will stay at my parents house until I move off base. I have a 300 WSM and am looking for a more pleasent rifle to shoot, so concieveable when I get the chance I would like it to be pleasnt enough to shoot for an extened session and frankly want to expand my rifle collection.

USNEagle81

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

USNEagle,

The long action would be ideal for the 6.5-06 or the 6.5-06 AI and the short action would be best for the 260 Rem or the 6.5-08 AI. For bullet weights 85-120gr would be pretty much the same..........however for the 140's top velocity would be with the 6.5-06's.

For deer and the ranges you specified the 260 would do the "necessaries". Oh yeah, and a lot less cost for dies, etc.!

For the 6.5x55 choice, I would go with either the CZ550 American or the Ruger 77 MK II. The MK II is the "less weight" of the 2. I have both in the gun cabinet and its always "flip a coin"!

Ol' John...
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

roadkill

Has anyone considered the 6.5 Grendel??  It is made in an upper for and AR?  It's ballistics are wonderful with groups of under 1" at 1000 yds.!!  I think I might be saving my pennies for it :-)

RumRunner

Quote from: roadkillHas anyone considered the 6.5 Grendel?? It is made in an upper for and AR? It's ballistics are wonderful with groups of under 1" at 1000 yds.!! I think I might be saving my pennies for it :-)
Roadkill...Is the.... "groups of under 1" at 1000 yds.!! ".... a typeo, or is that what you meant to say?  
Can't say I've ever heard of the 6.5 Grendel, but with performance like that, we will all be hearing about it soon enough, I suppose.
Walk softly and carry a big ol\' Smoothbore!

Gmoney

Savage also offers .260 as well as Remington....
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

usneagle81

I think I have decided on the 6.5x55 BJAI however, I have to find a reamer for it. Montana Rifleman only has the Swede. Elk Ridge has a reamer listed as a 6.5x55 Ack Imp. Is this going to be the same as the 6.5x55 Bob Jourdan Ackley Improved or are there two AIs? Pacifc Tools has a reamer that I can buy that they say is the BJAI, but I don't really need to buy one if I don't have to.

USNEagle81

.................................................................................................................................

The original reamer made for Bob Jourdan was done by Dave Manson. He has his own reamer business now and he made the reamer I have. Try this for info--

.... www.mansonreamers.com ...

Ol' John

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: roadkillHas anyone considered the 6.5 Grendel?? It is made in an upper for and AR? It's ballistics are wonderful with groups of under 1" at 1000 yds.!! I think I might be saving my pennies for it :-)
I did some research on the 6.5 Grendel and considered it for my Mini-Mauser.. It is a proprietory cartridge with Alexander Arms of Virginia and doing some work with Lothar Walther barrels as I understand it. Since its a proprietory cartridge I cannot legally obtain a reamer and cannot chamber any rifles for it. The folks at Alexander Arms and Lothar Walther have their reasons and more power to them. The decision I made to go with the 6.5 Rem BR will do what I felt was required for what I desired.

I am sure what you meant was 1 MOA at 1000 yards not 1" at 1000 yards, correct me if I am wrong............:)

Ol' John..:D
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

FLABOY

I am trying to stay on the light side for Florida and Georgia deer. Would a 6.5BR work for deer in these areas. Seldom shoot over 200 yards

Pete

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

FLABOY,

Glad to have you with us, neighbor!  Hope you drop in often and post when it suits your fancy.

I don't know what your situation is so I am going to answer as if you are a non-reloader.  The 6.5BR is strickly a reloading proposition and its going to be expensive getting set up for this one.  There is commercial ammo available for both the .260 Rem and the 6.5x55 Swede.  Either one will do the job for Florida & Georgia deer.

Remington & Savage both make rifles in the .260 if thats what you decide to go with.  Ruger and CZ make rifles for the 6.5x55...Ruger is easy to find but the CZ is a bit more difficult.  I really love my CZ and consider it the best buy on the market today......however....the Ruger has always been the best fitting commercial firearm for me out there.....Fits me like a glove....I guess thats why I own both.  Decisions, decisions...but as my esteemed collegue, Jay Edward, here at 'The Hunter's Life' has been known to say.............." my pocket book governs all! "

Find the biggest gun store around and go price and throw them to your shoulder..You have about 5 months before you need to make a final decision..Let us know what you decide and keep shootin'!!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

CAfrica

HondoJohn,

Give us some detail on that Grendel.  On what case is it based?

C

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

C,

It is based on the PPC case.  For more info go to www.65grendel.com

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

gitano

That Grendel is an interesting cartridge.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: