fall & winter hunting

Started by buckshot roberts, December 09, 2008, 06:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

I've have always enjoyed the fall turkey season, some of my best hunting was done in the fall and winter months, hunting fall turkeys just has that thanksgiving feeling about it.
There are some big differences between spring and fall season.
During the fall and winter months gobblers are together in groups and they really don't want anything to do with hens, so trying to bring in a fall gobbler using spring yelping and cutting call are not really going too work well.
If you like calling gobbles in you can find and bust up a flock and use deep, raspy longbeard yelps, or gobbling to regroup the birds, over the years I have found it to be difficult at times to get close enought to the gogglers to get a good break.
on a group of hens it's easier once you bust up a group hens you can use yelps, kee kees and lost yelps to bring a hen into range.

I use the "Ambush" tactic , and it may not be as exciting spring calling, but you still have to do your home work.
if you know what they are eaing,you will know where to look for them, another important thing is where they water, turkeys have habits unless they are disturbed they will always got to the same spot on a creek bank or to the same spring and at the same time of day, just look for fresh tracks in the mud, you may have to check more than once, some groups water early in the morning,and some may water in the late evenings.

I always use somekind of blind when hunting in the fall, in the past i have made them out of logs,brush,and rocks.

Like in the past seasons I'll be using my old outhouse blind, it's set up in the wood line of the corn field that I hunted this deer season. i saw turkeys traveling along feeding around 9-10 am each day I was out deer hunting.
So I'll be in my blind early and waiting. Ron

We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

RatherBHuntin

good luck to ya, I hope you get em
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Alboy

Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

davidlt89

Sounds like fun Ron. I have always wanted to try our fall turkey season, but it is a 4 hour drive and I use most of my time off for work during spring turkey and deer season. I did go once with bow, since that is all they allowed us to use when it first opened up. we were driving down the road and saw some turkey crossing single file. I got out of the car and drew back on one but did not get to shoot since the turkey bolted. I left off the draw and looked around and seen a nice little hen looking at me. when I drew back the knock on my arrow had come halfway off when I drew the first time so at about 3 quarters back the arrow came off the sting and fell in the road and I was standing there at full draw, looking at a turkey, with no arrow. my friend thought it was amusing, I still don't find it amusing. I hope you get yourself a nice gobbler Ron, be looking for some pictures. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Tags: