2007 Mule Deer

Started by whacker1, December 04, 2008, 09:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whacker1

Well, I don't have much to talk about this year. It looks like I will most likely be eating tag soup. I have a couple of days left of Idaho - Spike Only Elk muzzleloader this upcoming weekend, but that is about it.

Here is a picture of the Washington Mule Deer I took in October 2007. No good stories, just luck. It happened at first light - I happened to be at the right place at the right time. Scored 169 6/8 Net non-typical. I call it a 5 x 9. It is a 5 x 5 + 3 stickers up high and one that you can't see behind the eyeguard. I just got it back last month from taxidermist and it turned out amazing. The taxidermist figures that this buck was pushing 7 1/2 to 9 1/2 years old based on teeth, scull mass, and a few other components. The mass at the antler base on this buck is about the same as a young Roosevelt 5 x 5 Bull I have from several year ago in Western Washington. Barely get hand around.

Anyway - Happy Hunting to all!

Neil

klallen

Beauty.  Love all the character with those extra kickers.  You got it shoulder mounted?  If you can, post a pic.

Good luck finding your ML spike.

whacker1

Yes, Shoulder Mounted?  I will get a picture from home in the next few days.

Thank You
Neil

davidlt89

I love the antlers on those things!!!!! maybe someday! good job, also waiting to see the mount. God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

rockinbbar

Great Buck!

Gotta love those kickers! :D

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

whacker1

Here is the pic you requested on shoulder mount.  We had to turn it to the kicker side based on the space that was available on the wall, so it obscured the kickers a little bit, but from my recliner it all shows up.  

Thank you for all the great comments.

Regards,
Neil

klallen

Thanks for the pic.  That'd be a great addition to any shoulder mount collection.  I have 5 horns from 149 3/8 to this years that I need to get mounted and add to my avatar.  Gun projects just keep intruding on the funds set asside for such things, though.  Darn guns.  LOL.  Again, nice looking trophy.

whacker1

Thanks for the kind words.  You speak of Gun Projects......  My wife gave me Remington 700 XCR in 300 Ultra Mag last night for my birthday.  I have been eyeballing the 300 ultra Mag for 5 years after hunting with a friend that carries one.  So, I have some reloading to do, and a scope to buy.  This should keep me busy through the spring.

davidlt89

Nice looking mount, mule deer a beautiful. Hopefully someday I will get to hunt them.

QuoteMy wife gave me Remington 700 XCR in 300 Ultra Mag last night for my birthday
I have a rem 700 XCR RMEF in 7mm mag and its a keeper. I really like the rifle, interested to see how you like it. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

recoil junky

Hey whacker, what rifle did your little sweety get your 300RUM in?

Oh, nice deer by the way.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

whacker1

Remington Model 700 XCR in 300 RUM.

Neil

gitano

QuoteNo good stories, just luck. It happened at first light - I happened to be at the right place at the right time.

Truth be told, that's the case for about 98% of the fair-chase trophies taken. Great buck!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: