Winchester 70

Started by Bruce Baldwin, December 25, 2004, 09:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Baldwin

Hello Everyone and Merry Christmas,
 My topic today is my Winchester 70.  I have owned this rifle for over 39 years, and I am still confused about how to determine if it is the pre-64 or post-64 model.  I understand that American Rifleman recently had an article on this subject.  I have requested a reprint, but can anyone tell me of another source for this information?  I will appreciate any help.
 Thank you all.
 Bruce Baldwin

Kit

Quote from: Bruce BaldwinHello Everyone and Merry Christmas,
 My topic today is my Winchester 70. I have owned this rifle for over 39 years, and I am still confused about how to determine if it is the pre-64 or post-64 model. I understand that American Rifleman recently had an article on this subject. I have requested a reprint, but can anyone tell me of another source for this information? I will appreciate any help.
Merry Christmas to you, too!

Do you have photos of it to post?  I'm just a novice minding the fire and coffee pot while the others eat dinner today.  

I believe Rockinbbar has a pre-64.  Maybe Hunterbug; I'm sure there are more here and you've got me all curious now.

I did manage to find some clues for your treasure hunt, things you probably already considered... but the photos are nice   :D

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/winchester.htm

links to some mighty fine photos.  

Here is another link from a different  forum which addressed the issue:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13813

Google has this THL forum's old posts cached - here are a couple links which mention pre-64:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:lH0B7_ZquJUJ:www.thehunterslife.com/forums/printthread.php%3Ft%3D2704+winchester+70+rifle+pre-64+thehunterslife.com&hl=en

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:R7Fm030BegMJ:www.thehunterslife.com/forums/printthread.php%3Ft%3D2704%26page%3D2%26pp%3D15+winchester+70+rifle+pre-64+thehunterslife.com&hl=en

------------------------------

Daryl (deceased)

Here's a link to a site that should give you an exact year of manufacture for your model 70 Winchester.

I ran my own model 70 .243 through and it came back made in 1956; one year after the introduction of the .243 Winchester cartridge.  That goes along with other markings on my rifle, such as the steel butt-plate that was dropped (if my memory is correct) in 1959.

I also believe that pre-'64 model 70's have a "bell" in the barrel that holds the rear site and a forward locking lug, which offers support to a long barrel, causing it to shoot like a shorter "stiffer" barrel with the longer barrel's velocity.  Mine has that bell, and while I believe that this was dropped in '64 with the advent of mass production, it may have been dropped previously to cut production costs.

Many sites vary a little on the exact year of production for firearms, but I've found the above linked site to be very accurate.

Take care,
Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Hunterbug

Kit is correct, I do have one, AZ has one too and I'm sure that a couple others do. The quickest and easiest way to tell is if it has a claw extractor like a Mauser. A Pre '64 will have a 24" barrel and a barrel bulge at the rear site like AZ mentioned if it is a standard weight, the feather weight will have a 22" barrel and no bulge. I do not remember the exact number where the pre/post 64 division is but I think that it's around 600,000. What caliber is it? I don't think that they made featherweights in calibers larger than 30-06.If you have a picture of the action we could tell right away.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

M. R. Byrd

I had a post in the classified looking for a pre 64 Model 70 stock. Thanks to the posts here,  I took another look at the gun and ran the serial number through the link posted. It is a Winchester Model 70 XTR, manufactured in 1979. The stock has a cheekpiece and black forend tip. This gun is chambered Win .243 and I have a Burris 3x-9x Fullfield scope on it.

It was really a sweet shooting gun until I broke the stock. When I get some time I will try gluing the stock. It was such a beautiful gun, I was sick about breaking the stock. I am missing the gun now, I used it for both deer and coyote. I have an excessive number of coyotes at the ranch and I need to thin them. My only other rifle is a Remington 300 Ultra Mag. Just a little too much firepower for a coyote and at $1.80 a shot, a little expensive.

Thanks to all,

Maynard
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

Hunterbug

I stand corrected, the post '64 began at 700,000; not 600,000.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Bruce Baldwin

Hunterbug
 MR Byrd
 AzKIOTE

Thank you all for your assistance. I found that my rifle was manufactured in 1964, and that it probably is a pre-64 model from its serial number.  
 This is a great web site.
 Thanks again,
 Bruce Baldwin

Bruce Baldwin

Hi Kit,
 Thanks for your informatino.  Sorry , I dont have an image of my 70.
 Bruce

CAfrica

Quote from: HunterbugKit is correct, I do have one, AZ has one too and I'm sure that a couple others do. The quickest and easiest way to tell is if it has a claw extractor like a Mauser. A Pre '64 will have a 24" barrel and a barrel bulge at the rear site like AZ mentioned if it is a standard weight, the feather weight will have a 22" barrel and no bulge. I do not remember the exact number where the pre/post 64 division is but I think that it's around 600,000. What caliber is it? I don't think that they made featherweights in calibers larger than 30-06.If you have a picture of the action we could tell right away.
Hi HB,

Not quite all models had those bbl lengths.  Mine is a 220 Swift and it has a 26" BBL (25.9 as a matter of fact).  The Swift was one of the models dropped from the line when the change was made in 64 so if you have a Swift, it is almost certainly a pre 64.

Apart from the claw extractor, another easily identifyable feature is the "bulge" on the bolt.  The pre-64's have this smooth bulge on the side of the bolt, this feature was dropped on the post 64.

C

Hunterbug

CAfrica is correct. There were a couple of models that had 26" barrels like the 220 Swift and the "Westerner" in .264 Win Mag which also had a 26" barrel.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: