85 years old.......

Started by Hunterbug, October 28, 2008, 12:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

and still going. I'm sorry for not getting this story up sooner but between my wifes surgery, my vehicle issues and trying to get ready for my own hunt I've been a little busy. On the 18th I took my Grandfather up to Recoil Junky's place to hunt doe deer. We ended up taking his car since my 4Runner was in the impound lot wrecked. I got to his house at 0300 for the 4 hour drive up. The roads were clear and dry, for the first time in several years when I make this trip and we got to RJs about 0730. My Grandfather asked me to get his rifle and ammo out of the trunk. When I looked in the trunk there was plenty of ammo but no bullet throwers!:Banghead: RJ was kind enough to loan him his 243 for the day. There were deer running around as well as antelope but we could never seem to be in the right place at the right time. Finally that afternoon we were chatting with Mrs RJ and she pointed out that several deer had just ran on to the neighbors property where we also had permission to hunt. So we jumped in the car and drove over there. He got out and used a tractor tire for a rest and fired several shots. I knew that he hit one doe as she jumped straight up in the air whe he shot. The deer scattered everywhere and we went to look for blood. He and anothre guy who also had permission to hunt the property looked but found nothing. :undecided: I just KNEW that there was a dead deer up there so I kept looking. After a few minutes I found the deer down and out. After pictures I dressed it and drug it down to the car. Not long after we got it loaded RJ and Zach drove up and we chatted for a few. Then we got ready in the car and headed back home. We got to his house about 2130. I skinned and hung the deer and my uncle loaded it back in the car the next day to take it to the processor. Here's a picture of my Grandfather with the deer.

I reciently learned that my uncle has acquired the rifle that my Grandfather kiiled his first deer with, an old 38-55. I might try to lay my hands on it and take it up to RJs next year to get a deer with. That would be cool.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

RatherBHuntin

very cool HB.  I can see how it could be somewhat difficult to find a deer in that country.  Awesome getting a chance to hunt with your grandfather.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

buckshot roberts

a big congrats...to your grandfather...thats was  very nice of rj also..., .243 do you know what kind of load he used...........Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Jorge in Oz

That's a great post Hunterbug good to see your grandpa still enjoying the outdoors at 85.

It's great spending time with family and friends in the great outdoors.

Cheers

jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

davidlt89

great story and glad to see you out with the grandfather, you just can't keep these old guys down!!!!! My grandfather just turned 84 and is still out and about also. although he has "slowed" down a little. he is not much on hunting anymore but still loves to fish. God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Hunterbug

Thanx guys. It ws good to get to hunt with him again. We haven't hunted together for a few years now. I don't know what the load was, we'll have to ask RJ that.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

recoil junky

An 85 grain Speer boattail on top of some H4350, Federal match primers and Remington brass. I'd have to look in my notes to see what the exact charge is.

I fergot to ask, Bug, but did the bullet pass through?

By the way, that's the FIRST big game animal killed with that rifle. You'll have to tell Gramps that. He should feel honored.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Daryl (deceased)

RJ,

I'd be surprised of the bullet didn't pass through, unless it hit heavy bone.

Good story, 'bug!  I enjoyed the picture, too.  Sorta brings back memories.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Tags: