Mushrooms

Started by LvrLover, October 18, 2008, 08:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LvrLover

I am just finishing up some meadow mushrooms that I sautéed in butter and garlic. Also sliced and breaded a puffball for mushroom Parmesan. You just substitute the puffball for the eggplant or veal in the recipe. It also makes great crepes when sliced thin and fried on a griddle, or chop it up and scramble with eggs. Maybe I'll get to eat my venison with fresh mushrooms this year. There are still a few more to pick and now I have the meat. Wild mushrooms have much better flavor and go so well with wild game.:food04: Anybody else here pick there own. I only have maybe 10 types I am very sure about on sight (sure enough to bet my families life on), and a few others I will eat after verification from several reliable sources.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

RatherBHuntin

I have only had morels when with my Uncles in Ohio as they are experienced, and they are delicious.  I don't know if they grow here in Alabama or not.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

LvrLover

Morels are a spring mushroom and hard to screw up on. They have the distinctive pine tree shape and are hollow when cut in half. Very tasty. Not sure if they grow down south.

bowhunter 51

Yep!...........We got'em............They're the only wild mushroom I've eaten...
We look for them in the Spring when May apple start to  bloom in the
woods...Morels are pretty good, battered in seasoned flour and fried....
I'd like to try other types, but I'm afraid I'd poison myself...Though I've
known that most mushrooms are edible, cooked,...there are sOooo' many
different types that grow here...with my luck,...I'd probably try the very
ones that would take the bowhunter "down through there" if you catch
my drift........I've tried ,  Hen of the Woods, but found them tasteless and
somewhat tough....Puff balls?....I assume they're the ones you stomp and
smoke-like dust, let fly...I can't see eating that....................................BH51....
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

LvrLover

You get puffballs in the fall. They have to be all white and the same texture with no yellow in them when you cut them in half. About half the mushrooms you see can be eaten, the other half will give you anything from digestive upset to a horrible, painful death from liver and kidney failure - and that can be from only ONE mushroom. Don't take chances. Only eat ones you are very sure about.

mtnpenny

I would love to go mushroom hunting unfortunatly I dont think many grow down here. :(
mtn_penny
Save a life.
Become an organ donor today.

clicky > http://dragcave.net/user/mtnpenny < click

Gunslingergirl

We do have morels in Michigan.  Everyone has their favorite mushroom hunting spots, and they're quite secretive about them.
We still do not know one-thousandth of one percent
of what nature has revealed to us.
Albert Einstein

davidlt89

first I ever heard of "hunting mushrooms" was from a girl that I work with who moved here from Illinois. isn't there a name for it specifically. All I know about the mushrooms around here is you do not eat them!!!! God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Daryl (deceased)

"hunting mushrooms"?

Hmm...that just begs the question:

Which weedwacher is best for hunting mushrooms? :)

Or

Is a machete too much for hunting mushrooms? :D

Heck, if we knew what we were looking at, we might be able to hunt them in the yard right after the monsoon rains. They were everywhere this year, but I'd be afraid to eat them. Never learned to tell one from another.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

drinksgin (deceased)

Looking for mushrooms is called  "Macrophology". or some such, I have  eaten puffballs for many years, there are several different puffballs, all puffballs are safe to eat, all puffballs have a uniform inside structure, that is, no sign of a stem or gills, there are plenty of field guides on mushrooms, get one for your specific locale, study it a lot and then find an experienced mushroom hunter to take you out a few times when it is neither too hot nor too cold and enjoy the results.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Daryl (deceased)

Quote from: drinksgin;85015Looking for mushrooms is called "Macrophology". or some such, I have eaten puffballs for many years, there are several different puffballs, all puffballs are safe to eat, all puffballs have a uniform inside structure, that is, no sign of a stem or gills, there are plenty of field guides on mushrooms, get one for your specific locale, study it a lot and then find an experienced mushroom hunter to take you out a few times when it is neither too hot nor too cold and enjoy the results.

That's just it; I don't know any experienced mushroom hunters, and...um...well, the only folks around here likely to hunt mushrooms would be looking to do something with them other than frying them in butter.

Seeing things that aren't there just isn't my cup o' tea!

A guy I knew many years ago told me about using 'shrooms, as he called them.  They spent a few hours clinging to the couch, while it tried to buck them off so that they'd drown in the carpet.  He said even that wasn't too bad until the brass butterflies on the wall started flying around and trying to knock them off, as well.

I think I'll just buy my mushrooms at the grocery store, and stick to reloading ammo for a hobby. ;)

:D

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

bowhunter 51

I've been doing some Macrophology lately....during my deer huntin'
exploits...lots of different kinds of mushrooms goin' on...Think I'll take
some pics for "show and tell"....see if'n ya'll can ID 'em.....started to buy
a big ole' package of mushrooms at the store the other day,...to go with
venison backstrap on skewers...........Ain't seen no puff balls?....usually
they grow all around the house,...big as a soft-ball...........................BH51...

bowhunter 51

Here is an image of images, I intend to 'Shroom with some confidence
this spring..I've alway been a mycophile of morels, anyway....so....I'm
merely expanding for other types of mushrooms...These (I know) are
popular in my area................................................................................BH51....

noel

puffballs grow in my yard so there is no problem getting them.I usually have to give a bunch away before they spoil.I actually convinced the kids to stop kicking them! a short walk in the bush out back also turns up some nice specimens. there are shrooms out there too,but I'm not knowledgable on them so I have never picked any
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!
member;National Fiirearms Assocciation
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
gun owners of Canada
North American Hunting Club

bowhunter 51

Just today found the 1st Morels (Morchella sp) of the season...Actually
they are alittle early and some alittle small....I expect to see some bigger
in the next few weeks..................................................................................BH51..

Tags: