Potting rabbits in the stockyards

Started by kombi1976, October 14, 2008, 04:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

This afternoon I got another chance to head out to my work mate's farm about 20km south of town.
He'd told me that rabbit numbers were up before we went on the mid semester break a few weeks back and I meant to get out there during the break.
Unfortunately other things took over so today, after waiting for my wife sort out some chores at our church, I headed out around 5:15pm.
It's daylight saving here now and it makes a big difference.
There's still light until about 7:30pm so it's possible to hunt a lot later.
That was definitely a factor in tonight's haul.
One siginificant thing, at least  for me was that I drove the VW Bus out.
I would normally take my Land Rover pickup but it needs a tuneup badly so it was definitely not up to highway speeds.
I finally got out there around 6pm after having to fuel up and I could already see them messing around.
Here's a pic of the containers and the yard they sit in.

The rabbits have their burrows under the containers and as my colleague keeps feed and grain in the containers often when he removes it the rabbits get a real treat from the stuff that falls out.
Plus the grass in that yard is lush and the proximity of the goats which are often there during the night keeps them safe from foxes.
Doesn't keep them safe from me though!
There were a LOT of baby rabbits and they were first to show their faces.
It wasn't until right on dusk after the sun had gone down that the bigger does and bucks came out to look around.
Anyone who cares to rubbish Tasco scopes can do so if they wish and a Meopta or Swarovski may've given me 15 more minutes but in the half light the World Class 6x40 on my Anschutz 1400 .22lr showed up heaps.
That was just as well because the smallest babies spent most of the afternoon sitting nose forward, not side on.
As such most presented no more target area than a tennis ball and some less even than that.
Hunkered down close to the ground as the photo shows it was no picnic knocking them over in the dusk.
Just as the light was really failing the bigger bunnies appeared and they were easier targets, although no matter where I hit them they seemed to possess amazing powers of escape!
The first one I hit was an instant death head shot and yet it flipped around and almost got back under the container.
I had to run up grab the second one by the tail to stop it slithering under.
It died 10 seconds later but I almost lost it.
And the last rabbit, another big one, dragged itself back under left hand container before I could finish it even though it's back was broken and it it was bleeding pretty badly.
I told my workmate he'll find it in the yard tomorrow morning.
They usually crawl out of the burrow to die.
They were certainly tough buggers.
Now you want the final count......well, an even dozen if you count the mortally wounded one who I shot last.
Here are the other 11:

Now the pic doesn't really show it but the 2 at the top of the pic were really big, the one on the left being as big as a medium sized hare!
And the littlest of the babies were no larger than a big rat.
With the tiny ones I at first suspected they were further away but when I got to them it became immediately obvious why they'd seemed so far away in the scope.
Ironically the smallest rabbit I shot all evening was directly front on at the far end of the yard, about the size of an egg in terms of target area.
But the really cool thing was that I only missed one shot 12 rabbits for 13 shots........ok, 11 dead ones and 1 almost-dead one for 13 shots.
My work mate was astonished that I'd managed that many in one sitting and although he'd thought there were a few there he didn't think I get that many.
So my shooting abilities have gone up in his estimation and the Anschutz remains a dependable little rifle.
It's a pity PMC aren't around anymore though.
The Zappers that I was using tonight are now gone and I'll use up my supply in one or 2 club shoots.
I'm sorta wondering if I shouldn't buy some "cheap & cheerfuls" for plinking and keep these babies for hunting.
Here's a bad pic of me with the VW at the end of the night.
Maybe I should take it every time I hunt from now on? :biggthumpup:
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

RatherBHuntin

Goods haul there for sure, good shooting.  Glad you had a good time.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

Those are pretty good lookin' wabbits. Will they end up in a pot?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

Nice bunnies. With so many kittens around it shows they are having no trouble breeding up again.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

kombi1976

Quote from: gitanoThose are pretty good lookin' wabbits. Will they end up in a pot?
Paul
Thanks, Paul.
The answer on the pot is unfortunately no.
The missus refuses to cook or eat stuff that has died from lead poisoning, if you get my meaning, and  many of those bunnies were penetrated right through because I shot them front on.
Makes a mess of their insides and with bunnies that little there's no a lot of meat on them anyway.
The bigger ones would've been a good feed but they may've been a little tough.
Quote from: gitanoNice bunnies. With so many kittens around it shows they are having no trouble breeding up again.
Absolutely, and I'll be counting on that when I head out there again in a few weeks time.
I just hope mixo doesn't appear out there like it seems to periodically whenever there are bulk numbers of rabbits around.
Still, it was a good start to spring hunting and a new record for me in one sitting.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

davidlt89

Nice shooting buddy! those are some good looking rabbits.
QuoteBut the really cool thing was that I only missed one shot 12 rabbits for 13 shots........ok, 11 dead ones and 1 almost-dead one for 13 shots.
you had 12 "hits" (I'll give you that wounded one) for 13 shots. comes out to 92% hit ratio. May want to hit the range before going back out.:biggthumpup: God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

rockinbbar

That's a bunch of bunnies!

Looks like fun, for sure.

By the way, that's not a cowboy hat is it? :D
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

kombi1976

Thanks, Dave.
I was actually pretty ashamed of missing that shot.
There were 3 rabbits crowded around the end of the left container and I was sitting in a different spot.
It was just an awkward sitting position and I shouldn't have taken the shot.
But, hey, I'm no sharp shooter.
And yeah, that is a cowboy hat, rockinbar. ;)
Here's a better pic from a bunny busting trip earlier in the year:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh79/kombi76/PaulsPlace_7-7-08_02edit.jpg
Cheers & God Bless

Jorge in Oz

Nice shooting Andy, good way to keep your eye in for the bigger game, must have been fun.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

davidlt89

QuoteI was actually pretty ashamed of missing that shot.
I guess if were going to be honest here, I have missed more shots at a lot closer range with my .22 mag on rabbits. 10 yards is a long ways in our spot! I think it is my eye sight though, optometrist swears there is nothing wrong, but I know better.:)
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

bowhunter 51

Thats called a mess of rabbit, where I come from....and they would be
dressed-out, fried, and eat'n........I love rabbit..........my wife will not cook
them either, But, I will.. she knows how to wash dishes...:smiley: he..he..he..BH51..
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

kombi1976

I had a couple of rifles with me, the Anschutz and my 25-20 Martini Cadet, but I decided that shooting toward some shipping containers in an area close to a road with a number of other farm houses nearby I should keep the firepower to minimum.
With a hi-velocity .22lr bullet it shoots pretty flat all the way out to 50m so it was eminently suitable for the job.
Mind you, the 25-20 would've been much better on the big rabbits but you just can't risk ricochets and the possibility the bullet will rip off into the distance when you miss.
It's like shooting when an animal has skylined.......it just isn't safe, no matter how good a shot you are.
There was more than one occasion when I sat and waited for a bunny to move in front of the container rather than have open space behind him and he headed back down the hole instead and I'd do so again rather than risk it.
Cheers & God Bless

kombi1976

Quote from: bowhunter 51;84304Thats called a mess of rabbit, where I come from....and they would be
dressed-out, fried, and eat'n........I love rabbit..........my wife will not cook
them either, But, I will.. she knows how to wash dishes...:smiley: he..he..he..BH51..
Geez, bowhunter, you make me feel a little ashamed for not making the most of that haul.
Next time I WILL skin em and use them, or at least a few of them.
11 rabbits is enough food for a large family! :greentongue:
Cheers & God Bless

gitano

Quotebut I decided that shooting toward some shipping containers in an area close to a road with a number of other farm houses nearby I should keep the firepower to minimum.

A wise choice...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

People seldom remember how many times you hunted safely near their houses but you can bet that any mishap, however small and realistically risk free, marks the end for your hunting opportunities anywhere near that location.
With that in mind it's much easier to not be a hero and use the biggest cannon you own.
They are, afterall, only bunnies.
Cheers & God Bless

Tags: