Hunting Down Under

Started by Jorge in Oz, August 11, 2008, 02:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jorge in Oz

Went for a red deer hunt two weekends ago but we saw just old tracks and scrapings. We'd been chasing this big buck that has been frequenting the area we hunt but he has been very illusive, thus the reason why he is a big buck. He looks like a 10 or 11 pointer as we have seen him from a fair distance and by the height of the scrapes.

i just finished sighting in the Tikka 270win the weekend before and was itching to try it out. I've fitted a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 on it, which has kept zero nicely. Anyhow from all the excitement and anticipation of the coming hunt I completely forgot to clean my rifle (after the range workout) before we went out and I only remembered when I was putting on my camo at the crack of dawn.

Anyhow after 4 to 5 hours of climbing hills and scouting the surroundings we were on our way back and we noticed a few wallabies sitting on the side of a hills basking in the sun. Never to pass up meat for the dogs, I opened my home made shooting sticks clipped the sling loose (got one of those tactical type slings where the rifle sits by your side without requiring you to hold on to it) and placed the crosshairs on his chest. He was about 110 meters away. As I fired I saw some bark come off a tree and thought, no the projectile might deviate but I did see the sucker drop. On inspection the shot went throught the middle of the chest and exited from the near the back of the shoulder, as I was shooting up the hill. A bit too much gun for a wallaby but we were after Reds.

I was pleased the Tikka was on target even after not been cleaned. I won't be doing that again.

Anyhow we had a beginner fellow with us that was keen to take a photo so I posed for the camera. We shoot so many of the macropods that you don't really pose for photos but it was good to set the scene for our newcomer. Will post that photo tonight.

By the way when we were field dressing the wallaby he was a fine specimen, the meat was good quality so I got the missus to do our favourite recipe slow cooker meal with cranberries that we reserve for venison but used the wallaby meat. I loved it but my wife couldn't get the picture of a wallaby out of her head. Oh well I guess the dogs will get the spoils next time.

Cheers
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

rockinbbar

Great write up, Jorge!

You are going to have to start posting pictures to go along with it. ;) Can't wait.

How's the wallaby taste? The only experience I have is the Roo meat the "Jack in The Box" fast food places were serving here in the U.S. for beef in their hamburgers...LOL.
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Jorge in Oz

Just as promised I have attached a picture of the day's taking

Slim pickings, no deer but it was a tasty slow cooker wallaby meal.

Rockinbbar  the wallaby was very nice, I'd go another one but the missus has issues with eating Skippy.

Cheers
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

recoil junky

Awe, bloody 'ell, not wallaby stew again!!! Krikey!!  Just kidding Jorge. So, what do they taste like anyway?

I, for another can't wait for pictures of this rouge deer you've been tracking. Makes the hunt that much more satisfying when you finally get him. On more than one occasion I've passed on taking an animal because I knew that "Olde Bruiser" was out there someplace. One year "Olde Bruiser" was killed by some one else and another time I saw him just 2 days after season had ended. He was thumbing his nose at me from his bed about 100 yards from the road.  :Banghead:

Good luck with your quest!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Jorge in Oz

RJ wallaby tastes a bit like venison but it has a gamier taste.

We have a sneaking suspicion the big buck may have been shot as the owners of the property heard only one shot from a large calibre rifle. They have this neighbour that just wonders over their fence as if he owns everything and they suspect he may have shot it.

We'll still go out in search of it though just to confirm this. Blasted trespassers!!

Daryl (deceased)

QuoteRJ wallaby tastes a bit like venison but it has a gamier taste.

So, it's more like jackrabbit?  :D

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Brithunter

QuoteWent for a red deer hunt two weekends ago but we saw just old tracks and scrapings. We'd been chasing this big buck that has been frequenting the area we hunt but he has been very illusive, thus the reason why he is a big buck. He looks like a 10 or 11 pointer as we have seen him from a fair distance and by the height of the scrapes.

Buck :eek:  that's a Stag m'boy especually if it's a Red, Fallow are Bucks but Sika and Seds are stags :Banghead: .
Go Get them Floyd!

kombi1976

Good shot, Jorge.
I look forward to seeing some pics of this stag!
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Jorge in Oz

Sorry BH the reason I said Buck was that I'd been watching some old American whitetails deer hunting videos and they kept on saying "shhhh there's a big buck over there!!"

I stand corrected, it's the Big Red Stag that  I'm after.:Banghead:

Daryl, I remember eating jack rabbit or hares as we call them here as a kid but I can't remember the taste.

Cheers

22hornet

Sambar are stags and hinds, what are Chital?

What defines the difference?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

22hornet

Well done Jorge! Maybe you will catch up with a Red next time.

Did you ever get your 45/70?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Jorge in Oz

No I've been hesitating as I was tossing up getting a scoped Enfield M17 in 444 Marlin but now I'm not sure which way to go. Also,I'm I going to have to wait as we are saving up to fit gates to our bessa block front fence. It takes priority as our son Jesse will most likely start walking in the next month or so and we have to shut his access to the road.:Banghead:

kombi1976

Why get something like a 444 Marlin in that sort of rifle?
Surely you can get a cal with better ballistic abilities.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Jorge in Oz

Price may have had something to do with it. Also I was thinking I would use it with the LeverRevolution ammo. The soft tip SPs. I was also contemplating rebarrelling it to 458 Lott or 416 Rem Mag, but it's cheaper I guess than buying a CZ, Rem or Ruger in those calibres. I'm not going anywhere at the moment with the big bore prospective purchase. I just have to wait a while till the gates are in place.

gitano

QuoteSambar are stags and hinds, what are Chital?

What defines the difference?

Where you live...

Jorge - glad to see the macropod pic. They may be boring to you, but they're interesting to us Yanks. Is there anything that is or can be done with the hide?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: