How was your season

Started by buckshot roberts, May 20, 2008, 07:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

well mine started out looking so good, one day I saw some turkey's runnig across the road on my way to work, I leave about two pm, an a few day's leater some thing, I stopped this time as I had my optics this time an saw they were going across this open field to get to a large creek that runs by this farm, Ok now what, I made time to find out who owned this place an on one of my day's off I stopped late in the evening to ask permission, to hunt this field, it took me about two week's to meet this person, but I got permission, told him it would be just myself, an all I would do was clean off a spot for the bird's to dust off, kind'a keep them in the aera a little longer, and I would set up a place to set, an what I did was scout around two day's and found were they were crossing this creek, back off from this a made me a 6x6 spot from them to dust them selves off, I cut me a kind'a half fox hole out from the creek bank around 40 inches deep walked off me a killing zone, an marked it off with to two three foot stick's in the ground had me a "V" set up, I wen't down after about a week an saw a few were dust'n off, it look good, but went south, it set into raining a few day's before season open'ed, that's not to bad but what got me was the day before season open'ed I got hit with a 16 hour shift, got of work a 7:30 am opening day, but it was raining hard, an rain it did for the first week, I stopped on t saturday after noon an took this pic, one O'l boss tom had him about 6 hen's with him and this other one was working around him try'n to get one or two, well it was another week before I could get to hunt that aera, buy now five tom had been taken, it seems that old farmer let some other come in an hunt, when I could not, what a big miss understaneding he told me, after I called him, asking about other hunters down on the farm per say, said he trough I took one opening morning, well looks like someone came in from the otherside, were'nt me, was all I could say, try'ed a few time, but did not hear one tom  return my call'n, all I saw were Hen's, So how was ya'll's season........ Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Alboy

NOt any better than yours on success. Saw a few and heard a lot more the week leading up to season. Same as you though for the first week other things nailed me down.

Second Saturday we set up and watched 1 tom with 1 hen mess around out at about 200 yards. Tried calling him over but he was happy with what he had. That also put him close to 120 yards off of our property.

Next morning I missed one at 75 yards with a pistol, thought it was more like 40-45 yards when I took the shot. We were just driving into the place after breakfast.

After that we heard a few (3-4) around us but they never came in.

And that was that.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Sandhills Guru

Considering we had 15" of snow on the ground mid season on a couple of the ranches I ussually hunt.   One ranch partial with  the road washed out going into it and only access would of been a 6 mile jaunt.   And the birds wondering along with the rest of us if spring was ever going to make its presence felt.    With the weather conditions it had the birds running about 2 - 2 1/2 weeks behind normal patterns for the season.

But all in all, it turned out to be a good year.   It was tough hunting but we got it done.

bowhunter 51

Mine?........................remains most challenging................................BH51...
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

subsonic

I had a bunch of other things that ended up being more important, so I have still never hunted turkeys.  

Some of the things that came up were an opportunity to hunt elk this fall (which took the money), my 2nd wedding anniversary on opening weekend (knew that was coming) and Saturdays being eaten up by YHEC participation for my stepson. So I guess at least they are good excuses :biggthumpup:

My wife keeps seeing them strutting on a levee on her way to work...

davidlt89

I did not see or hear one turkey in two days. :angry:   Had a good time though. I did manage to see turkeys on the way there and on the way home. Tried a new place this year, probably will go back to where I usually hunt.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Vermonster

Had turkeys working both days I got out.  Saw one flock of 6 jakes/gobblers.  Was archery only, so never got a shot.

But, had a blast, learned ALOT, since they were my first 2 serious attempts at turkey hunting.  And, got to see a couple of does and a bachelor group of 3 bucks in velvet.... So it wasn't all bad....... :yes:

Better than working, anyway...... :laugh:

Paul Hoskins

With more important things to do, I only got out once. Got set up with decoys and all and fifteen minutes later the farmer came out to spread fretilizer with the fractor. Picked up my decoys, deflated them and went home. maybe this fall. Everything is behind this year with the weather being what it is. The hawks nested late as well as most birds. Turkeys didn't get in the mood until the middle of the season. Really bad year for turkey hunting. Even the son in law and his brothers didn't get any turkeys this spring. That's really bad.   ............Paul H

Smokepole

I managed to get out just one day. I did see a few jakes with hens but nothing in range. Then I was called home.

Little guys name is Brennen Rhys ***********. grandchild No4. 8 lbs, 12 oz everyone is doing well. Then 4 weeks to the day.........................

Grandchild No. 5 Emily Raye ****** 7 lbs 12 oz. Everyone is doing well, grandpa a bit tired. So needless to say turkey hunting was cancelled for the spring of 2008. But that is okay.  I told my daughters (3) to try to have better timing

Paul Hoskins

Well Smokepole, missing turkey season was worth it for this. Women do seem to have a knack for screwing up anything a man might enjoy. Been down that road many times myself.   ...........Paul H

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: "well" congrats to ya, yep they are not so good at timing, OBTW, She's prettier than new carpet.......... Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Alboy

I would, like I know you have, toss several Turkey seasons for a gift like that.

Congratulations Grandpa

Look at the seasons to come and the chance to teach and see through new eyes.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

davidlt89

good looking babies, congrats grampa!!!! God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Tags: