Need a recipe for ......

Started by greywolf, May 06, 2008, 05:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greywolf

Porcupine and beaver! yes you heard right, i have been told that both are actually very good eating if prepared right , i'll try anything once , and it's not like we don't have a major over abundance of the pesky critters around here. AND! best part is , here , no license needed ! i can hunt year round !!! :)
- Fire up the grill ! \'Cause huntin , ain\'t catch and release!

-www.torontothebad.com.... help us fight bad gun laws ! boycott toronto!

Clueless

I'd cut either of them up into pieces and stew them. Then maybe add some veggies to the mix.
I've never eaten either of them so I really don't have a clue.

But any meat I don't know how to fix I usually end up stewing.

I just looked and found a recipe for BBQ'd beaver.   Most important thing they said was to be sure and get all the fat off the beaver.  The fat does not taste good.

The recipe is the same as my BBQ'd pork.
A mind always employed is always happy. This is the true secret, the grand recipe, for felicity.
Thomas Jefferson

davidlt89

Good luck skinning the porcupine!!!! I don't have any recipes as beaver are usually used as coyote bait around these parts. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

greywolf

well Cabela's bought out the canadian  mailorder outfit and turned it into cabela's canada, , but anyway they have a stuffed porcupine in the store , so it must be possible, if and when i actually get one i'll give it a shot and see how it is done, if i don't come back for awhile then my fingers etc.... may be a wee bit indisposed for a bit ;)

Clueless

I'd get some welders gloves.  Might be a little unhandy but will protect your hands.

I've seen stuffed porcupine at Bass Pro Shop.  

I'd say ya need to handle a porcupine VERY GENTLY!!:biggthumpup:
A mind always employed is always happy. This is the true secret, the grand recipe, for felicity.
Thomas Jefferson

gitano

Whoever told you porcupine was "good", lied to you. I've eaten almost everything I've ever killed. Once, (twice actually), based on information in a military "survival" manual, I killed and tried to eat a porcupine. At the time, I hadn't eaten in two days. (One of my 'living off the land' adventures.) As hungry as I was, I couldn't gag it down. I ate only the heart, liver and kidneys. Four days later - still having not eaten anything but the previous porcupine's organs - I killed another one. I burned it so I could gag it down. There's no difficulty in skinning a porcupine... barehanded.

As for beaver, they are great tasting. They're a bit greasy, and they don't look terribly appetizing, but the meat is good. Dogmushers in Alaska try to find beaver trappers that will give them their beaver carcases for their dog teams. Very high protein meat. It's surprizing how much meat there isn't on a 30-lb beaver. First, beaver bones are very dense. Second, when you eat cellulose, (tree fiber), you need a BIG gut to process the cellulose into glucose. A beaver is mostly gut. Finally, there is the tail. There's lots of mythology about eating beaver tail, but the truth is, most folks don't. It's bone and gristle. You can flavor it with spices, and I suppose an innovative 'chef' could concoct something of beaver tail that would be 'good', but it would require considerable effort.

As for recipes, I "stew" just about everything, and beaver is no exception. Cut into cubes - render and remove the grease - add vegetables, herbs, and spices to taste, and cook 'til you're ready to eat it. It is very dark meat, and has a distinctly "tree-y" taste. If the tree is birch or willow (most common), it's quite tasty.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

greywolf

ummmmm, yeah , ok i see what you mean paul , tried porky this last weekend , ohmygoodness that was disgusting!!!!! That about sums it up , i'm sending the quills to buddy , for the innoucuous statement that they were "tasty". most disgusting reviling thing i have ever had the displeasure to "taste" I couldn't even gag it down , you did better than me !

M.

gitano

Quoteyou did better than me !

You just weren't hungry enough yet. ;) A person could probably eat the south end of a north-bound skunk if they were hungry enough.

I'm sincerely glad you actually tried it! I'm a strong believer in "test everything you hear".

I assume you didn't have any difficulty skinning it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

I know by one member's own admission that he has eaten skunk....he said it wasn't that bad until you belched.....maybe he will elaborate.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Tags: