22lr, 17 Hmr, 22 Mag

Started by mmoser, December 19, 2004, 05:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmoser

I'm thinking about getting a new plinking rifle and I would like to choose between these three rimfires, 22LR, 17 HMR, 22 MAG.  The 22LR is an obvious choice just becuase the price of ammo, but I would like something that is a little more powerful than a 22LR and something that I can shoot out alittle farther.  I haven't ever shot a 22 MAG, but I see it as kinda like a compromise between the two.  Its more powerful than the 22LR but not as expensive as 17 HMR.  I'll probably be doing mostly target shooting with it but I do occasionaly go hunting for squirell, rabbit, racoons.  Does anyone have any suggestion between the three or any opinions on what the best gun would be for each?
     I tried seaching the forum but it wouldn't let me seach for something as short as ".17 HMR"  I also tried 17HMR but only got a little over hald a dozen post, I know there has to be more information out there on them.  Anyone have any suggestions for seaching for something like this?

Thanks,
Matt

rockinbbar

Matt,

At the risk of being redundent on the subject.....I'll start by saying the HMR & 17MKII are just a little light for killing anything above a small fox. True, it is faster than a .22 Mag, but that .22 Mag hits alot harder, & is as accurate as a person could want from a rimfire.
On the HMR, I have heard of incidents where it took up to 4 shots to kill a treed coon.

I have shot the .22 mag all my life, & am spoiled when it comes to that....LOL. In fact, I don't have a whole lot of use for a .22 lr anymore.

Others here will offer different opinions for sure, but if you listen to the older, seasoned hunters & shooters here, I think you will find much disdain for the over-touted .17HMR caliber.   ;)

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Marlin917VS

I have a 17hmr and I love it, but there is no advantage in my mind unless you are using it past 100 yards.  It's more accurate than the 22 mag but for the stuff you listed its not going to make a difference  unless you are shooting them past 100 yards.  Also, you might want to take a look at the 17hm2.  Its a 22 stinger case necked down to a 17 caliber bullet, unlike the 17hmr which is a 22 mag case necked down to a 17 caliber bullet.  The 17hm2 is also very accurate like the 17hmr, but is cheaper to shoot (about $6 or less a box) than the hmr.  It will give you more range and hitting power than a 22 but less distruction on squirrels than a 22 mag or 17hmr.  If I were you I would probably go with the 17hm2.  In second would be a tie between 17hmr and 22 mag, 17 is better longer range in my opinion, but costs more the the 22 mag.  Later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Mark Kaiser

I would go with the .22 mag. This is just what I thimk, a 17 grain bullet and the .17 caliber isnt big enought for killing bigger varmints it may be fast but it doesnt have as much energy as a the .22 mag and if its breezy a 17 grain bullet can be pretty easy to move. and with a .22 mage way more selections of ammo.

peace out,

Mark

RatherBHuntin

Define "plinking".  I think this is where many arguments and disagreements start.  If you intend to sit out on the porch and shoot tim cans, birds and targets then the obvious choice to me would be a .22LR, because of the price, about a penny a round.  If you want it for light hunting or longer range target shooting, then you would be better served by the .17 in either of it's varieties or a 22 Mag or bigger.  .17HMR is about  16 cents a round and the HM2 about 10 cents.  The .22 Mag is about the same price as 17 HM2.

Sooooooo, if you are just after cheap plinking, the 22 lr seems to pull ahead.  If you are after cheaper than centerfire target shooting, very small game hunting the 17 HMR seems better.  If you want both, the .22 Mag or .17 HM2 may be what your after. What's your game?  Though it isn't much, the price of 17 ammo is tangible, and the 22LR price is neglible.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Marlin917VS

Mark, I'm not trying to attack what you said in a mean way, but its been proven that the 17hmr is less suseptable to wind that the 22 mag. I also agree that it doesnt have as much energy but its not much less and the accuracy is far better. I'm not against the 22 mag or anything, its just my opinion that the 17hmr is a better choice in most conditions. When I first got it I wouldnt have felt confortable using it for coyotes, but after what I've seen and heard its enough as long as you limit your range, which I believe is another thing the 17 has more of than the 22 mag. I agree that if all of your shots are going to be under 100 yards and accuracy doesnt have to be great, the 22 mag would be the better choice, but after 100 yards the 17 shines. With either one you are going to have to take head shots on squirrels if you plan on eating them though. Later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Mark Kaiser

I'm just sayin my opion because for around her what I mainly hunt are squrrels, Rabbits and Gophers and most of the shots within 50-100 yards it really depends what kind of game your goin after. I agree with you the .17 is better over a hundered yards and can shoot to 200 yards and this is just my opion I might be wrong but I think a .17 hrain bullet isnt heavey enough for killing Dog sized animals. please let me know if im wrong.

Later,

Mark

teddy12b

Here is my two cents.  Growing up I had a marlin semi 22lr.  I've shot many ground hogs several times with it and just watched as they would run off mad as all get out.  I bought a marlin 22mag bolt action bull barrel and havn't looked back since.  This rifle will make you look like a champion at the range and will also take down any small varmit you shoot.  Personally I don't like the looks of the .17, just too small for me.  It's super light and fast and sure if you shoot something with it, it'll probably die.  It just seems lacking in having enough weight behind it to be fair to the animal you're shooting.  If you're after the speed of the bullet, I would use the remington ballistic tip rounds for hunting.  I use them exclusively in my 22mag and it's a 33gr. round that's just amazing.  I havn't shot at anything past 100 yards with at the range or otherwise.  Honestly though with the .17 do you really think that with so little weight that after 100 yards it'll do much?  I don't, but then again I've never shot one.  

In a nutshell, I love my marlin 22mag and I think it you would like one too.  Just remember there are more different varieties of ammo for the 22mag too.

Hollowpointboy23

Matt,

I would either use a 22lr or a .17hmr. the reason i left the 22 mag out is because i have shot one and i think it is to powerful just for squirrel or other small game. I said the 22lr because it is a fun gun and is cheap to shoot and it does not cost alot. I said the .17 because for the price you are kinda sorta getting a modified 22lr because it has the adjustable trigger an all that, but the price is about $400-450 where i can get it it may be more where you live but the 22lr and the .17 are your best bets.
                                                                                                   Hollowpointboy23-

sav17

i like you couldnt make up my mind about the small calibres, found a web site posted by varmint al enter "17hmr" in your search engine and you should find it he does a 17hmr test it will tell you everything you need to know about this little beauty and then some,he does penetration tests, full ballistics charts, give it a look, i did ,went straight out ,bought a savage 93 model and havent looked back, great on small vermin out to 200 yards, hope this helps
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

Tags: