Headed out today

Started by Sandhills Guru, April 18, 2008, 06:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandhills Guru

Well my real turkey season begins today.   3.5 weeks of steady talking turkey with over 18 guys during that time.   Will share some of the highs and lows with you later upon return.

davidlt89

I am going next week, can't wait!!!! get lots of pics my friend, love to see'em. God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

buckshot roberts

I wish the best of luck to ya... got to go myself 3 time.... but have not taken any..... they were their two weeks before season open'd...
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

caretaker

Sandhills Guru

Well,  it was some tough going these last few days.   We came across impassible roads to begin with going into one of the remote ranches.  

The other ranch we found the birds behind this spring.   The bottoms and hills were yet to green up,  it seemed birds were breaking up yet from winter flocks in the area to begin with.   And they would not answer a call for nothing.   Some gobbling right at sun rise off the roost, but when they hit they shut up.

We managed on the second day to get a couple gobblers that wondered by a set up somewhat hot with calling.    My guy,  shot at the first bird at about 10 yards, then immediately turned on the second at about 12 yards and fired.    He then turned to me and was happy as all get out.   As I watched the first bird he fired at fly off and the second bird running up the hill.   Missing both birds which he did not realize.  

This brings me to something that has happened time and time again.   Turkey chokes!   They talk how they can take birds at 55-65 yards and I have seen it done.   But I can remember many a shot taken at under 20 yards with no birds to show for it.   I am not a believer in these chokes at least not for my area.   A good full choke gun with a nice pattern at 30-35 yards is what takes the birds.    

Between the pair they ended up with a nice bird to go home with.    But it should of been 3.

buckshot roberts

I've had the same thing happen to me in the past... I took birds for years using just a full CK, and #4's... in the past I've seen them start strutting right after hitting the ground from the roost......I've had my misses in the past, but you never see them miss on the tv shows. thanks for the up dated, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Sandhills Guru

I agree, you don't see them miss on tv to often, but then again isn't editting a wonderful tool.  

The turkey chokes that give hunters the advantage of long range shots along with 3 1/2" nitro shells with multiple size shot in them is truly a wonderful option for today's hunters.   But I have found from experience with my hunters that they need to go a step farther.   Open sights with the pattern these options give today's hunter don't cut it.   I have guys with scopes and right now it slips my mind the name of the other site that is used that don't miss the close range and are dead on at 65 yards.

Tags: