Singleshots - The Aydt System

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), December 18, 2004, 06:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

Being offered one of these rifles (minus breechblock) is what exposed me to singleshots for the first time.  I hadn't really been interested until this fellow tried to sell me an Aydt (like I said, without the breechblock).  I realized, even at a tender age, that replacing the parts might just be the teensiest difficult...so I passed.  But it got me to thinking...and schemeing.

I traded for my first singleshot and decided that I much prefered the looks and the challenge of such a firearm.  My first work on a singleshot was a Remington Rolling Block that was imported by Navy Arms so many years ago.  I remember that I got a 'kit' from Numrich Arms that let me make it up into a octagonal barrel 'Buffalo Rifle' in .45-70 Government.  It shot so-so and was terribly heavy...so, as usual, I traded it off without considering what could be done to make it more desireable.  Ah well.

Anyway...I haven't been able to pin down a good date for the start of the Aydt System but it does make up into an interesting looking Scheutzen Rifle.

Jay Edward (deceased)

More good looks:

Mark R

What were the chamberiings on these and when and where were they made.

Thanks

Mark
marktx

Jay Edward (deceased)

Germany Mark...according to the information they were made in Germany by the German gun making firm of Haenel.  But the basic system was made by some others as well, Haenel was the largest manufacturer.

According to the short history I have (which does not include dates) the large centerfire cartridge is was chambered in most was the 8.15x46R but could be made into other American chamberings of similar pressure.

English

Jay, I'm not sure but that particular stock style looks kinda punishing.  I know I'm a weenie for recoil but that looks like it could get painful.

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

Jay Edward (deceased)

Actually the stock design is very comfortable for off hand shooting Mike.  It just looks strange but the design is meant to conform to the human body.

In addition...the cartridge isn't punishing at all.

drinksgin (deceased)

Jay;

That looks like a stand up, lean back and shoot stock from the 1870's.
Not to date either of us, but do you remember the ads in NRA for Rem rb actions for $8.95, $10.95 with the barrel, usually in some 11mm who ever heard of it ?
Don;)
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Tags: