News Release! NE Turkeys Going South!

Started by Sandhills Guru, March 31, 2008, 10:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandhills Guru

I just heard  via a radio outdoor report that Nebraska Turkeys have been observed along roadsides with backpacks on attempting to hitch rides south! :undecided:

I can believe it,  with 3" of new snow again last night and it snowing hard again right now, I'm beginning to have the same thoughts!

Our archery season open a while back,  success in the area is low.   Birds are still winter flocked and not coming to calls.  Winter is not letting go.  

Then to top it all off, some guy in the coffee shop this am says farmer's alamac is saying we are to have 44" of snow between March 1 & April 15!  Which means if my running total for that period is correct, we have another 35" coming in the next 15 days, Holy cow!:Banghead:

Where's the classified section I need to advertise for a room down south!

Clueless

How can I tell a Nebraska turkey from turkeys here?  

OH forgot you said "backpacks" LOL!!

I've an extra room you can rent Sandhills...LOL!!

Anyhoo I'll be looking fer them turkeys in our neck of the woods.  See one with a back pack and I'll give ya a hallar!!

We are at 72o and the sun is shinning bright after rain for the past 4-5 days.:)
A mind always employed is always happy. This is the true secret, the grand recipe, for felicity.
Thomas Jefferson

NormS

It's snowing here again today....we are going to have this snow forever.  Parts of Maine still have 4 feet of snow.  The south looks better every snowflake.

Clueless

A mind always employed is always happy. This is the true secret, the grand recipe, for felicity.
Thomas Jefferson

Sandhills Guru

I guess I better not yell to loud,  at least we don't have 4 foot of the stuff on the ground yet.  

I have been out doing some calling locally around home,  had a couple jakes come in with in shooting distance but let them go.   No gobbling going on to speak of, just nothing.    

We had a decent warm spell about 2 weeks back, was out messing with a call one day then.   Had a real nice tom come in then, but of course it was before season opened.

So be patienient, right?  And I know I didn't spell it even close but you get my drift.   Spring is coming, like I haven't heard that before.

What's a Nebraska turkey look like you ask,  well they have a back pack on for one.  LOL!  They will also be wearing a scarlet red pull over with a big N on the front of it!

Daryl (deceased)

Shoot, around here it's so dry that the jackrabbits are packin' canteens!  

Wish we'd get some kind of wet stuff, although it's a little warm for snow here now.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Clueless

With a scarlet RED pullover?  Well they Will stand out in a crowd...LOL!!:smiley:

We've had 4 days of rain Daryl.

and more is on it's way.
Thomas Jefferson

davidlt89

there is at least four feet of snow on the ground just in front of my house. supposed to be a whopping 45 tommorrow, and it is snowing right now. I have had it, anyone want to buy a house? this has been a record breaking winter for Maine, have gotten 187" of snow and counting. Poor deer can't move, my dads sees them sunk up to their bellies out his window. Coyotes are having a feast. this moose was found in the town next to mine. God Bless
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Clueless

OH my it's just a baby!!

I like my warmer weather but thanks for the offer of the house!!

I was rollin down the road in Maine, most likely about 90miles/per..seems like a vehicle travels faster and better in the lower atmosphere.

Anyway, I rounded a curve and there before me stood this Giant!!! :Banghead:

Talk about hitting the brakes with both feet as hard as I could!!

I was thinkin' about craming it in Park...but I got stopped. :eek:
Thomas Jefferson

davidlt89

Yeah, lucky if he is 300lbs. He sure did get buried though. this is not the only moose found like this this year. some have been found dead, he is actually lucky.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Clueless

What's going to happen when all that snow thaws?

You have a lot of flooding up in Maine with the Spring thaw?
Thomas Jefferson

bowhunter 51

Well I dunno whats gonna happen  up there, but down here it's already
happening....Mississippi river is up to about 38' at Memphis and the
backwater flooding has run all the locals out of their homes and to higher
ground...and still it rains...I've not had a chance to turkey hunt any....I
can handle alittle rain a'huntin', but not the heavy stuff...Some say, when
the snow thaws up North, we'll get round Two....Not good for turkey or
any wildlife trying to nest and raise................................................BH51...........
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Clueless

Don't I know it BH!! We are in the path of a lot of rain and flooding.

Not likely we will flood at the house since we made a lot of changes in  our creek last summer but I'm looking for the rivers to swell do a lot of flooding in the next few days.

I've been reading about Memphis and the Miss-a-sip.

You be careful over thar in West TN.
Thomas Jefferson

davidlt89

Not to worried about flooding as long as we don't get a bunch of rain. I think they say that one foot of snow is an inch of rain. it usually takes all of april to melt it. biggest thing is the ice jams in the river. God Bless.

Clueless

We sorta say it backards from you David.  We say "if it rains an inch, take heart, cause  it could be a foot of snow"  

I haven't seen a foot of snow since we left PA.

In the 7yers we been here mayhap we have seen a total of 3 inches of snow. :smiley:
Thomas Jefferson

Tags: