"Turkey Guns"

Started by buckshot roberts, March 14, 2008, 09:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: we have about 4 weeks until the season opens here.....
So whats everybody taken to the woods this year......... I'm  use this old model 1400 winchester I  had sleeved some years ago...................

:smiley: is anyone still using the ol' 2 3/4 shotshell............

:smiley: What choke.........full.......... exfull....................
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Sandhills Guru

Guns?  Who needs guns?   Why I just call the in, when they get real close.   I STAND UP AND SCARE THE LIFE RIGHT OUT OF THEM!

This year I am going after them with a bow for the first time.   I have been practicing, as long as they are as big as a barn,  I see no problems.

All kidding aside, I am going after with a bow this year for the first time.  Its actually been 4 years since I got a turkey.   But I have been in on quite a few successful hunts.   Pretty much always on the calling side.

Alboy

I will be using BEULAH this year. The SxS black powder 12 gauge. No choke. 90 grains of 2F with 1 1/4 oz of #5's sitting on top.

You can see her working right there in the avatar.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

davidlt89

Mossberg 835 ulti-mag again. It is my only shotgun now, it has served me well. I have a slew of 3 1/2 federal size 4's left. this is the first year I am wondering why I am using those shells when they kick so bad. I believe I will go down to 3" when they are gone. I bought a new choke for geese and believe I will compare it to the ulti-choke that came with the gun. of course, I have also not ruled out the bow and arrow. will have to see how much time I have. God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Daryl (deceased)

I dunno about all these big boomers, fellas.

I'm not hunting turkeys this spring, but if I was I'd use the same ol' Winchester 37 I've always used in the past.

20 gauge, 2 3/4" chamber, full choke, #4 Federal magnum loads.  I bought the box of shells about 20 years ago, and still have about half a box left.

And every time I've ever shot at a turkey with this little shotgun, the turkey dropped like a stone.  Killed one at ~70 yards.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

bstringer71

Rem 870, 21"barrel,  super full choke. Knocks em dead every time with #5 heavy shot.

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: I've never try'd the black powder......... or the bow.........keep us posted you two on thaking a bird............
best hang on to that ol' model 37..............they go for just about $300 bucks around here......12,20 or 410...... they are high now.....................Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Daryl (deceased)

Ron,

I've had that shotgun for better than 30 years, and it belonged to my dad before that.  Can't see selling it for any amount.

It holds a lot of memories of good hunts, for sure.
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Paul Hoskins

Ron, I spect I'll be using the old Stevens 20 gauge again with 2 3/4 in. hulls iffin it ain't raining. It shoots best with the shorter shells and #6 shot. ............Paul H

noel

I'll be using the mossberg 535,28in,undertaker ported choke and 3" 4x6 loads.works like a charm.I top her up with a 3x7x30 3200 elite cause my shootin eye waters up pretty bad.the real fun of the hunt is still calling for my buddy! works so nice when one calls and the other can concentrate on the shot.we just have a blast!
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!
member;National Fiirearms Assocciation
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
gun owners of Canada
North American Hunting Club

knuckledragger

I'll be hunting with my my trusty Moss 500 12 ga with a full choke bbl.  My daughters will hunt with either a moss 20 ga or T/C Encore 20 ga, their choice.  KD
Not everyone gets a trophy.

motor (deceased)

hope to go tomorrow..spring season here is from march 21 to april 26.. i will probably use my mossberg 12 gauge with #4 shells  full choke..good luck to all..
Just an ole sinner saved by grace

dawei

I'll use a Mossberg® Mdl 500C 20 ga
David
Only two defining forces have ever died for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

davidlt89

I use the same tagrget. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Alboy

We are running up to the place tonight to look for pigs and will stay over to see if we can pull any Toms in tomorrow morning.

I will be carrying Beulah with #5 lead in the right barrel and .69 pumkin in the left.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Tags: