Calling all Turkeys!

Started by Sandhills Guru, March 13, 2008, 10:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandhills Guru

Its always interesting to hear what different folks use for calling.

Here is pretty much what I use.

Locator Calls:  I use a peacock, coyote hawler, & goose call.   Actually the goose call seems to be one of the better choices.

Turkey Calls:  ONce I have a place picked out to set-up or have a bird located.   It will depend a lot on the conditions at the time.   I dont know about anyone else but the wind tends to blow here a bit too much at times.   I will use a good box call to get the gobbler answering me back and coming in.   Once he has closed the distance I switch to a friction call,  I prefer slate over cherry wood.   I have a custom call maker that makes this for me.  I really like the pot calls, their versitility is tops in my book.

I am not a mouth call person, never could master them.  I got a bad gag reflux and that doesn't help.

Not a believer in decoys either or blinds as far as that goes.

davidlt89

QuoteI got a bad gag reflux and that doesn't help.

almost made me puke!!!!

I have not used a "call yet", probably will have to someday. Shot most of my birds without decoys or a blind. although I do like blinds. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

bowhunter 51

Well,.....I use a mouth yelper and a decoy....It seems to me, most likely
your at better advantage when your hands are free to track a gobbler
through brush looking down the ribbed barrel of a 12 guage and, have at
least the capability to sway a gobbler's  movements without movement
from hands or having to raise you gun....They got real good eyes in my
neck of the woods...fortunately, I don't have any reflux issue but I'm not
against using a cedar box....they're cool....but slate yelpers? ...out dated
and over-rated, ta'  me....though alot of turkey hunters swear by 'em..

I gott'a crow call for a locator....Blinds?...maybe some kind of camo net
but it would have to be light and easily manageable...I'm not gonna lug
a bunch of gear all over the woods...I'm already tot'en a decoy and a
12 guage Mossburg (like tot'en an m-60) and a pocket full of 3 1/2 inch Magnum
shotgun shells can pull your britches down to your knees..............BH51......
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Daryl (deceased)

QuoteCalling all turkeys

You called?

:D

It's ok, I've been called worse'n that, for sure!

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: I'm a box call man.........been using one for over 30 years........ but ya have to keep'm tuned up....... I got back to using wingbone call....... Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Alboy

Season opens 1 April aound here. Starting to get ginned up about it. We are going out to the woods this Sunday to check on things and get set up.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

noel

hey buckshot! you use a wingbone? bunch of guys up here had them given to them and couldn't make them work! these were handmade from the bones.I picked one up at bass pro(plastic) and had it working in no time. showed them how and they said it makes my face ache! better a sore face and a turkey than a sore butt,sore feet and nothin!I think the sound of them is unique and when the birds are stubborn it get some interest.
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!
member;National Fiirearms Assocciation
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
gun owners of Canada
North American Hunting Club

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: I'm with ya on that...... they well work... when others want.......... Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Springbirdoo

Tags: