Country Fried Venison recipe

Started by cgphunter, October 10, 2004, 06:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgphunter

Since I asked for this, I guess I will get it going...

Country Fried Venison

Ingredients:

-         Venison steaks or back strap pounded with meat mallet ¼"-1/2" thick

-         Buttermilk (enough to just cover the steaks in a bowl for several hours or overnight)*

-         1cup flower – More for gravy if you want to make it.

-         Cooking oil, enough to barely coat the bottom of a well seasoned cast iron skillet

-         1 medium onion for about every 2 steaks (optional)

-         Salt, Pepper

-         ½ a clove of garlic (sometimes I use preminced that comes in a jar – 1 Tbs.)

* I usually do this with most venison I cook with, but if you use meat tenderizer or have a better way it's up to you. Just don't go overboard, I still like it to task like venison.

Directions:

After tenderizing the venison into steaks you can either soak it overnight as described, or proceed with the recipe.

Put the flower on a flat surface (I use paper plates for quick cleanup) and press the steaks into the flower and turn them over to get an even coating on both sides. Don't worry about the salt and pepper just yet.

Heat the cast iron skillet over medium-high heat with the oil in the skillet. Test the oil with a little pinch of flower. If the flower sizzles, it is ready.

While the skillet is heating up, cut the onion(s) into thin rings. Also mince the garlic or measure out about a spoonful if using preminced.

Put the venison into the skillet and let it brown for about 3-4 minutes and then turn. Now is when I season the meat. remember to season both sides and you can reseason if you like before you eat. It is about time to turn them when you see a little blood come up through the top and the edges are becoming brown. Now go ahead and throw the garlic and onion slices into the skillet. Reduce heat while on the second side to Medium and let it brown and make sure it is fully cooked through. I usually can push on it with my finger and tell by how firm it is, it might be better to use a meat thermometer or just cut into one of the steaks to test.

The meat should be fully cooked but not tough, and the onions should be sautéed and not crisp. Remove the steaks and onions, but leave the remaining juices and bits. If you used too much grease, drain the excess off now. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the bottom of the skillet to get all the bits off the bottom for the gravy. Reduce heat under the skillet to Low.

Using a small jar or sealable container pour a little flower into the bottom start with a few tablespoons, then that much warm water into the jar leaving room to shake it all up. Put the top on and shake vigorously removing any lumps. Pour the flower mixture into the skillet along with more warm water and stir. I usually add more flower than I intend and end up adding a good bit of water to balance. Let the gravy simmer until you get the color and consistency that you desire.

Use your favorite mashed potato recipe and man what a meal, I have also just used baked potatoes and covered them in gravy and that is good too.

I hope you like,
Chris
It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.
- Mark Twain

Any relation to the land, the habit of tilling it, or mining it, or even hunting on it, generates the feeling of patriotism.
- Ralph W. Emerson

Skip

Chris..
If I decide to get a deer this year I'll be sure to give this recipe a try. Thanks for posting it.

sav17

Hi Chris,

got a nice piece of roe deer in my freezer,that this recipe was just made for thanks a lot,I will be giving it a try
Your friend............................Richie
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

buckshot roberts

:D hey, Thanks I still have some deer meat, I'll give it a try this week, let y'all know how it is:cool:
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Tags: