Back to the "Basic"

Started by buckshot roberts, March 07, 2008, 02:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

:jumpingsmiley: Ol' Turkey sesaon well be here in less than six weeks in this state........ An a few of the guys at work are talking about whats new this season........... New for me is some "sneakyleaf's" for my suit......

an a new hunting area..... that's it.......all this talk  of these items got me to thinking............

how I did I do it over 20 years ago.... we never had 3 1/3 shotguns.... I remember seeing a few winchester model 12 in 3 inch... but they were  called duckguns...at the time youth you used  the same shotgun for turkey hunting that you used for small game in 2 3/4 inch ol number 6 shot........the only thing back then that was called a turkey gun were these sleeved shotguns used in what we called turkey shoots....that were popular around my area... I had this old model winchester 1400 set up for that...kind of shooting.... well I got it out today an cleaned the dust of  it...........

It can still take a turkey....need to work some on my aim.........

Thats the same shot shell I used for rabbit hunting....... good ol #6... now we have ammo that has tungsten in it...I see why it's so high..... that good ol 6 bucks a box of number 6's have taken alot of turkeys for me over the years.. now I have also use some #4's an #5's in the past....
It's hard for this ol country boy to give advice in the new age.....

I scout an area were turkey are  I look for spots were they are dusting off.... go to water.....were they roost... ect...
I hunt the sceond peak of gobbling.........
hunt in the afternoon.........
I let the birds do most of the calling....
I stand hunt....(not treestand) watching trails...........
I'll use decoys in high presused areas.....
and I'll walk to an area.... an not drive or ride to close...
OBTW........ I use the call that never gets old the box call...... Ron

We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

bowhunter 51

Season starts in 3 weeks, here Ron....and I'm gonna try and git me one...

Had turkey all over me back during deer season, went scouting yesterday
that flock had moved on somewhere else,  but,  I did spot 10 birds at
the edge of the woods with my binoculars...couldn't make out any gobbler
but I'm sure some was among'st 'em...fixin' ta ride down that way again
here in a few minutes ta see if'n I can catch me some feed'n with this
snowfall due here in allittle while...Really looking forward to gettin' after
them again....Probably won't invest in no new stuff this year outside a
fresh diaphram mouth call and paint for my hen decoy..................BH51.......
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

buckshot roberts

:) In the past if I could not find were turkeys have been dusting off....  I would make one by loosen the soil with a small garden rake.... I'd make about 4 foot circle by an area when turkeys travel..... you make one an they well come to it.........
:smiley: Another thing..... if you don't do to good in the morning... try the afternoon......or late day.... The hens well set on the eggs until the day warms up.... birds wont leave there eggs to the cold air.... an the toms know this.... an well follow the hens after they leave therenests..........Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

NormS

Up here in Maine we can only hunt turkeys until noon.  So if the am doesn't work for you, your out of luck.  What do you mean by "dusting off"?

davidlt89

even though we can only hunt till noon Norm, bushshots advice will work up here. here in our part of the woods Norm the hens head to the woods anwheres from 10:00 till late afternoon. If they are not in the fields they are on the nest. Head for the woods, especially around the fields you see them in, and the Toms will be in there looking for stray hens who may not be on the nest. If you here a tom, set up and call!!!! Of course we will not run into this problem when I come down, will we!!! Should be tagged out by 6 am. I believe by dusting Ron is talking about the same thing partridge do up here. I find dustbowls all the time on the side of the roads for grouse. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

NormS

Yeah, we'll be tagged out and eating breakfast by 7 David....LOL

Ok, I thought that might be what was meant by it.  The whole turkey thing is new to us Mainahs....

Antler3

Yea they flop around in the dirt and flap their wings to dust themselves. Maybe to ward off mites that get on them. But about the same time every day they'll be at the dusting spot. You can most of the time find the feathers in and around that spot too.....
ANTLER 3

Paul Hoskins

Don't think we will see much dusting around here this season unless they do it in mud. Ground hasn't been dry since deer season in Nov. ..........I'm sick of the rain.   ...............Paul H

Antler3

I'm right there with ya on the rain. We've had lots around here too. I just hesitate to say that though, because I know what July and August will be like. We'll be wishing for just a little shower about then.
ANTLER 3

Tags: