turkey tactic questions

Started by killerkoz, February 25, 2008, 02:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killerkoz

well i have a smaller flock coming in early in the moarnings in this bottom with a small clearing should i use my tree stand or ground and should i use decoys and calls since they are rite there but they dont come down there every day just hit and miss scratching if anybody has any tips let me know

ShadowRider

killerkoz,
I'm a firm believer in keeping myself undetected as much as I can, and that includes calling. If an animal is coming in on it's own, I let him. I call to locate and then try to entice them to me, when I don't know where they are or where they are wanting to go.

You didn't clarify what you are trying to do or when, so I am assuming you are talking about hunting them. If the season is open and you can go sit in the bottom every day until they come back, that's a pretty sure fire way to get one. If the season isn't open yet and you are making plans for later this spring, then I suspect it is too early to know if the birds will stil be feeding in the same place when the season opens. Turkeys move around alot and a hot area this week may be cold next week, but they do have regular places they come back to periodically so it's a good idea to keep an eye on the places you have seen them before.
As for the tree stand vs ground, I like being on the same level with the birds so if I need to move in a hurry, I can. If you can plan an ambush ahead of time from your tree stand, I'm sure it will give you a little advantage over their eyesight. I don't think turkeys expect danger from above as much as they do from the ground.

killerkoz

i have known turkeys in the particular area for a few years now but havnt really hunted them and it isnt season yet im waiting for spring seasn to open i have seen what i think to be the same flock about a mile away in an acorn flat on top a hill not too far from there but mostly they roost about 4 or 500 yrd tops from this bottom they havent been down in this bottom for a while till recently but i dont know if it is becouse the kids on there 4 wheelers ran down and pretty much mulched all the high saw grass or maybe the acorns are gone on that hill now  or the mulched grass is leting them find some of there naturel foods but i did notice that the animals even the deer have been coming back around since they did that with the 4 wheelers  alot more tracks and the old paths are gettin heavier use  but most of the wood there in that botton is cherry and locust trees i dont really understand this one much but maybe snce ive given u a little more info it will help i really appriciate the help too

ShadowRider

you might have the makings of a great setup. If the birds continue to use the bottom field, the toms might start using it as a strutting/ breeding area. With the roost being 4-500 yards away, if they start coming to the field in the mornings, set up between the roost and the bottom field and let them come to you. In this case, I'd move in on the roost, say 1-200 yards away, put out a decoy and would call to them before they fly down in the morning, to let them know I'm there. If they gobble at my call, I'd back off on the calling and hope they fly down towards me. If I thought the toms were without hens, I'd probably go easy on the calling and let them find me (unless they are really hot, in which case I'd call every time they do). If I thought they had hens, I'd start calling to the hens to try to get them to come by, bringing the toms along in the rear.
If they are going to the field from the roost, this could be a killer setup.

davidlt89

I agree with shadowrider!!!!! sounds like you got a sweet deal going on. I don't see how you can go wrong setting up in the middle, between the roost and the bottom field. One time I snuck in an sat right in the roosting area and took them when they hit the ground. of course this only works if they plop right down. you have plenty of time to pattern these turkeys my friend. Keep and eye on them until the season. See where they are flying down, and sit there. I have shot turkeys without putting out decoys. Actually, I have only had one turkey ever come to my decoys and only because there was a live hen mixed in with them and she was calling him in. I have never had to call in a turkey. Sounds like you have a spot where an ambush is very possible. I too like ground blinds, they hide you better and give you room to move if need be. I have seen people set theirs up a week before the season right in the field. After a couple days the turkeys were actually feeding around it. If this is your first turkey hunt, be prepared to learn something. I hope you come out with a turkey and keep us posted on the scouting. God Bless.

Oh, if you are planning on using the call and never have used one, start practicing now!!!!!!
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Antler3

Quote from: ShadowRider;74832killerkoz,
I'm a firm believer in keeping myself undetected as much as I can, and that includes calling. If an animal is coming in on it's own, I let him. I call to locate and then try to entice them to me, when I don't know where they are or where they are wanting to go.

You didn't clarify what you are trying to do or when, so I am assuming you are talking about hunting them. If the season is open and you can go sit in the bottom every day until they come back, that's a pretty sure fire way to get one. If the season isn't open yet and you are making plans for later this spring, then I suspect it is too early to know if the birds will stil be feeding in the same place when the season opens. Turkeys move around alot and a hot area this week may be cold next week, but they do have regular places they come back to periodically so it's a good idea to keep an eye on the places you have seen them before.
As for the tree stand vs ground, I like being on the same level with the birds so if I need to move in a hurry, I can. If you can plan an ambush ahead of time from your tree stand, I'm sure it will give you a little advantage over their eyesight. I don't think turkeys expect danger from above as much as they do from the ground.
Well I can't agree with them not spotting you in the treestand ....with the flock I hunt it's just the opposite. They spot me everytime in the stand when I am deer hunting. Just remember they have keen eyesight and any little move will set them off. Ya gotta be extremly still. I wouldn't bother them too much before season they'll leave the area. The less you can mess with them, now that you know where they are, the better. Good luck and hope you get one ! Let us know how it goes !
ANTLER 3

killerkoz

thanks guys for all the inspiration and help with my questions ill be sure to post  some stuff for you wen i get there

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: Welcome to THL... So sorry for being late.... had to get me a new aircard for the pc....

you've  gotten some good advice... yep you have a good set up.... Now can you leave your ground stand in place... for a number of days... if so... do this... set it up an... after a few days... go back an set... an watch....do you just want to set in the blind an take one out... or you can use your decoys to find the "Boss" Tom ... set ya decoys out ....call some an see witch one struts up first...hope to be more help for ya now that i'm back on line.... Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Sandhills Guru

Lots of good advice already for sure, here is what I would do in that situation.

First off no decoys for sure.   The birds are coming into this draw on a pretty much regular basis already.  But one thing I am looking at is the date of the post.  And I am wondering if your seasons are open already or not, seems early for US seasons to be open.  And in my area, what the birds are doing in Jan they will not be doing in March when season opens.   They tend to split up more and move out of some wintering areas almost totally.   And toms get the notion to do some traveling looking for hens that are ready.  

So I am going to be using a call,  knowing that a dominate hen if she is with a tom is going to give a tassle to keep that tom.   So I best **** her off and get her coming looking or get that tom more interested in me.

I am not a tree stand believer for turkeys.   On the ground using the natural terrain for cover with good camo on and set in.   Blinds are good and necessary sometimes, but like what was mentioned before,  if at all possible get it set up and leave it there.

For me to really give you a real good idea on what to do,  I think its too early to really pattern the birds if your season is still a couple months off.

Tags: