Definition plz: stripped

Started by Lost Hunta, December 15, 2004, 01:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Hunta

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CSI&Product_Code=NAGBR20&Category_Code=BRLS it's a link to barreled recievers for M91-30 Mosin that are
"stripped??" meaning plz i've seen AR-15 receivers for sale that are 'stripped' too
"Cari" my M4 carbine

rockinbbar

In this instance stripped means that they bought a bunch of military rifles & stripped them down, & are selling the parts....Kinda like what a chop-shop does to a stolen car....

Not an uncommon practice. You buy a bunch of guns cheap after they have been used by the military, then take them all apart....Then you take the best parts & re-build some rifles & sell them. The excess parts, they sell them too....

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Lost Hunta

so meaning in the barreled reciver it has nothing on it that can be removed ie rear sight, front sight, lugs, ect?
"Cari" my M4 carbine

rockinbbar

They may or may not have sights, etc.....Just depends on the barrel, they may vary.

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Jay Edward (deceased)

From the look of the image on the site you posted...it looks as if the front and rear sight bases are still there but it's not clear to me whether the rear sight itself is still there...I believe that RBR is correct about the 'parting out'.

Normally a 'barreled-receiver' simply means that the stock has been removed.  But a 'stripped barreled-receiver' means that not only is the trigger housing/magazine/plate gone...but the trigger, bolt and ejector are gone as well.  Getting all the parts back by purchasing them individually might be a little pricey.

A 'stripped bolt' means that only the bolt housing is still there.  Firing pin, springs, extractor, gas shroud and, in the case of most military rifles...the safety, are gone as well.  Rounding up all the parts can be chancy at times and bedeviling if someone starts selling you parts that are for that make but not necessarily for that model.

Say the 'barreled-receiver' is in good shape.  You purchase a bolt (and the internals) separately.  The bolt turns out to be slightly pitted but is all you can get...or they're low on extractors and what is left is in worse shape than the other parts.  You might regret the original purchase.

'Barreled action' or 'complete action only' is one thing...'stripped' anything else is quite another.  I have put together a few rifles by standing right there at a gun show and selecting the pieces...but I wouldn't do it any other way.  It can be a real headache.

Lost Hunta

So what if i bought the stripped barreled receiver could i just use the pieces from the original being both are M91-30s?? the reciver is fine it's the rusted muzzle it has which i belive is hurting accuracy.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Tags: