Fish & Berries

Started by Inukshuk, January 25, 2008, 07:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inukshuk

You all have to try this.
Boil a good tasting fish, then debone it. Put it in a bowl mixed 50% with either black or blue berries. Best with black berries though, but still good with the blue ones. and add a bit of salt to the mix. Yummy. Can't wait to get some more. :greentongue:

With maybe Salmon, Arctic Char, Speakled trout or similar.

Keep following this thread. I've got a few photos on page 2.
To Go Where No Man Has Gone Before
Live Long And Prosper

davidlt89

You lost me at the boiled fish part, no offense my friend. This is what I would do. Buy a piece of salt pork about the size of a car battery. Meticuously slice it into thin pieces. throw it in the pan until golden brown. Take fish and immerse them in the salt pork grease. Let them cook until they are also golden brown and crispy. watch the tails, when they become crunchy, the fish are done. No need to add salt since you have already done that naturally. Eat both together with numerous slices of bread and butter. MMMMM. this is best done with smelts!!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Inukshuk

The more methods the better. The way we do it is it's all mixed together like a salade. Now the pork greese. Wouldn't that take way the taste of the fish?? I know that my salade method you can realy notice the blend of the fish and berries independantly and well defined.
Live Long And Prosper

davidlt89

No my friend, the grease does not take away any taste at all. I cannot fathom fruits and meats together. This is one reason I do not like mince meat. I love deer meat but will not touch mince meat. I give my dad the neck of all my deer and that is what he does with it. I am sure your methods over there are much healthier than mine. I am not a big fish fan to begin with, but I do eat it. God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Clueless

I think he meant "broil" the fish.  And I agree David I want my fish fryed.  And no fruit about fish.  Just don't use fat meat I use Olive Oil, eu natural, for all my frying.

When you get my age you don't want your heart screaming "help  me, help me!!":eek:
A mind always employed is always happy. This is the true secret, the grand recipe, for felicity.
Thomas Jefferson

davidlt89

broiling would make more sense clueles, thanks. God Bless.

Inukshuk

Hey
This was just my reciepy here. But each his own
Live Long And Prosper

davidlt89

Inukshuk,
   did you mean "boil", or "broil"?

Clueless

No offense intended Inuk. Remember we are from the Lower 40 and what we eat might not sound good to you.

I'm not sure how you feel about "crawdaddys" or "beans/cornbread", "collard greens" just to name a couple of things you might not be familiar with being eaten.."polk salad, hog jawls, branch lettuce and ramps." :biggthumpup:
A mind always employed is always happy. This is the true secret, the grand recipe, for felicity.
Thomas Jefferson

Inukshuk

David89

Boiled in water.

Clueless
Definitly a diffferent world here. Most country food is eaten Raw, frozen, boiled. But cooked in a few ways is good as well "steaks, roasts, etc.:.
Live Long And Prosper

Clueless

Now I gots it!! You cook fish like what we call "stew".  If we boiled fish  we would have NO fish, it would be boiled away.

Your speaking of fish 4' long and weighing approx 15lbs and we're talking fish only 6" long and 1-2lbs.  Big difference. :smiley:

The Cajun's in Louisanna make a stew from fish, head and all with everything but the "kitchen sink" added.  I can't come up with the name.

And here if we were to cook a rock, gravy would cover it..!!:smiley:
Thomas Jefferson

Inukshuk

Sorry about that. Forgot about you guys being southerners :greentongue:
Here's a shot of a medium size lake trout here with a couple other shots.

Along with some black Berries for the meal :)

I'll have to post else where on fishing up here with a small story.
The biggest my wife got was a 39" lake trout ice fishing in spring.
Live Long And Prosper

Clueless

now that's what I'm talkin about!! Nice fish!!

And them berries we calls them berries "huckleberrys" or "snake berries" or "blue berries".  Rattlers like to hide in them bushes. :eek:

I's pickin your black berries one day in Canada, heard a sound...turned looked and a bear, back with white chest blaze, was sitting on the ground, gently, taking the berries off the bush and eating them nearly one at a time. :smiley:

Let me know when and where you post a fish story!!
Thomas Jefferson

Inukshuk

Quote from: Clueless;72892now that's what I'm talkin about!! Nice fish!!

And them berries we calls them berries "huckleberrys" or "snake berries" or "blue berries".  Rattlers like to hide in them bushes. :eek:

I's pickin your black berries one day in Canada, heard a sound...turned looked and a bear, back with white chest blaze, was sitting on the ground, gently, taking the berries off the bush and eating them nearly one at a time. :smiley:

Let me know when and where you post a fish story!!

I remember once berry picking with my parents when I was younger, many moons ago, that I could have sworn to this day that something tall furry and black was on the trail as well.

The berries are black not blue. The blue ones have a bit of a sweet taste when ripe, while the black ones have a tad bit sour taste but very good.

Think I will tell a short story or two on some fishing, but sadly without pictures. I think I'd have to have a guy come out with me all the time only to shoot with my camera.:smiley:
Live Long And Prosper

Clueless

We have a "black berry" but it grows wild on a vine instead of a bush.  Makes a nice cobbler pie.

there was a "cannery" up there who made the best perserves from those blue/black berries I had ever eaten.  They sold them by the can instead of jar.  everytime I was there I brought as many cans as I could back home with me.

the bear was sitting astradle the bush eating the berries and seemed unconcerned he had company.  A year or so before the field had been woods and had burned during a summer heat spell.   The rail road track was close ..the one running all across Canada.

I go-ggled your area and Man brings back a lot of memories.  Back in my "rough and ready" days!!:)

I don't need pics of your stories I  have a past vision in my mind.

I remember drag hooking "hog suckers" (the southern name) for bear bait.   Throw a three pronged hook in the lake and the "hog suckers" must have weighed 10lbs, laying on the bottom of the lake.  I think it was in May.

Walleye? :eek:
Lake Trout:eek:
Northern Pike:eek:

Then those little things called "smelt?"..caught them by the trash bag full, fried and eat every bite, heads, tails and innards.:eek:
Thomas Jefferson

Tags: