Mnt. Lion

Started by Antler3, December 14, 2004, 01:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antler3

It is now 4:15 p.m. in Northern Arkansas....I just happened to look out the window out across our back field. It is about 200 yards to the back fence. And through the neighbors field right on the fence line a yellow mnt. lion walked...It walked over and layed half under a cedar tree in the neighbors field, in the sun. I got my gun for protection (illegal to shoot them here) and grabbed my camera (without a zoom) and my bino's...I was able to use few trees for cover going toward it to get closer...but was pretty open...snapped the picture at about 75 to 100 yards....don't know if it'll take that far we'll see. But took another step to get closer and it jumped up and headed into the thicker cedars on the neighbors property. We're not suppose to have them here...didn't look to big a little bigger than a bobcat with long tail and bigger head. Probably a young one...last night was our coldest this season 17* might have been on the prowl for food. Might ought to let the neighbors know....they have a little mare in that field. Got an adrenaline rush and am still shaking a bit ! :D  What a thrill !!!
ANTLER 3

rockinbbar

Cool!!

But they don't have those there, right? ;)

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Kit

yeah...will look forward to seein the photo.  Did you use the binoc's for a zoom?  I have gotten some real cool photos that way.

As to the cat - if it's an orphan --

The local hunters here say the young orphan cats are so hungry and desperate -- and without proper cat-mama training - that they tend to develop unusual and dangerous feeding and hunting habits.
 Blessings
 ~Kit

Antler3

Hey!! sounds like neat idea! and no haven't even thought of using the binos for a zoom. It's nice to know that it's possible to do that. This was just a 35 mil. camera and have tried to photograph wildlife in the past to no avail. Everyone said I was imagining things when i told them I had the pictures and when got them developed there was nothing there that you could see. LOL. Tried it with couple coyotes once and some does and then again with 4 big gobblers but just couldn't see them. I hope this one of the cat turns out...it is rare to spot them here in my part of the country...and yea Rockin' we don't have them here lol. This is the second one I have seen and found tracks on the mnt. of one. While cutting hay this summer some neighbors saw one and the UPS driver spotted two right in the county road about a mile from our place. But we don't have them here LOL.
ANTLER 3

azhdryder

We have a pair of Ocelots with kittens here about 8 miles from my house, Ive seen them every year for the last 7 years. There should be a pretty decent population of them by now. But they dont exist here either
Amatuers talk rifles

Enthusiasts talk ammo

Professonals talk Wind

Antler3

That is pretty cool. I had to research them to even know what they were. A very pretty cat. And only 30 to 35 are suppose to exsist in Southern Texas. What a thrill to have them in your area. Maybe they are making a come back and spreading your way. Thanks for sharing the information.
ANTLER 3

rockinbbar

Gee,

Sometimes  I think the wildlife biologists have really dropped the ball....LOL.
I saw several Ocelots when hunting coons at night in Texas...

I think half the things they say are not very common are really just VERY nocturnal. There are lots of ocelot when you can actually SEE several. For every one that someone sees, how many go unseen?
They are very beautiful animals. Animals ability it adapt or not adapt is what generally makes them scarce.....I think the ocelot adapts very well. They just have a natural lifestyle that makes them very rarely spotted in the wild.

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

yotecurhunter

I've never seen a mountain lion, but there are gillions up in Wyoming.  Just because you never see them doesn't mean they are there.  I anticipate there being plenty more cats.  "making a comeback"  I think they've always been there.
Sean G. Harrison

Antler3

I've talked with a few old timers since I saw that one , they all tell me they have always been around here. The neighbors caught one at a glimpse running off with one of their baby goats. There was also a goat carcus found high in a tree just few miles from us on the back side of the mnt. I hunt. I tend to side with the ol' timers in this area being I have personally seen them too. I may make it a personal goal to get proof they are here....Game and Fish say they have no documentation of them. May turn out to be an exciting adventure...sounds fun .
ANTLER 3

M1Garand

This is a big area of disagreement in MI.  People are reporting sightings of mountain lions and the DNR is saying they're ones that escaped from captivity.  They don't recognize a viable breeding population here and I've heard that they're reluctant due to they'd have to list it as endangered here and that would cost them $$$.  Don't know if that's true or not but a guy not far from my parents got a nice pic of one on his game camera.

yotecurhunter

I would think they would say that.  They don't want to deal with them.  MOre work, same money.  Just like up here with the Grizzlies.  They weren't suppose to be in the Wind River Mountain Range.  The Game and Fish denied it and said they weren't there.  But when people started killing them on accident, thinking they were black bears, they couldn't deny anymore.
Sean G. Harrison

Tags: