Previous topic - Next topic

mtnpenny

1  3-4# pork roast
1  3-4# Buffalo (beef) roast
3 ears garlic peeled
1/4 Cup onion minced
salt
pepper

Put in crock pot and cover with water and cook overnight until meat will fall apart.  Remove meat and shred.  I try to get as much on the onion and garlic cloves out of the broth and mix with the meat.  Retain the Broth.  Set meat aside.

1# dried red chilis

Boil chili's in water until softened.  Mash chili's through a strainer/ sieve to make a paste.

2  28oz can Macayo brand Red enchilada sauce
2 Tbsp flour
2 tsp lard

Mix chili paste, enchilada sauce, flour and lard in sauce pan and simmer to make a thin gravy.  Reserve about 2 ladels of sauce then pour the rest over the shredded meat and mix.  Set aside.

10# Masa (ready to use)(not flour)
2# Lard
2 tsp baking powder
4-5 ladels of the broth
2 ladels of the sauce
salt to taste

Mix with blender until spreadable and a ball will float in a glass of water.

3-4 bags corn husks

Place husks in boiling water until soft.
Take husk and spread a layer of masa onto the husk. Add a spoonful of meat then roll.  Optional- Add a couple off green olives before you roll them up.

Cook in a steamer for approx 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours.  The masa will be soft when you take it out of the steamer.

makes about 8-10 dozen
mtn_penny
Save a life.
Become an organ donor today.

clicky > http://dragcave.net/user/mtnpenny < click

Daryl (deceased)

Hey folks,

We've been working on this recipe for a while, getting it just right.  We usually make about 1-2 batches per year, and keep them in the freezer (a dozen in each 1 gallon ziplock bag) until we're ready to use them.

If you use one tamale, and scramble it with a couple of eggs, it makes one of the best breakfast burritos you'll find anywhere.  Take a couple with you for lunch when hunting, wrapped in tin foil, and you can heat them on the manifold of your truck.

These are top notch tamales!

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

RatherBHuntin

Sounds like a lot of labor, I guess the reason it's only done once or twice a year.  Aren't tamales a traditional Mexican Christmas meal?  If so I guess they think it's hard enough to only do once a year.  Regardless I sure like tamales and maybe I can try this.  Thanks for the recipe
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Daryl (deceased)

Glenn,

They're a bit of work, but not too awfully bad.  We do it in stages, and each stage doesn't really take that long.

Fix the meat, and let it cook overnight and into the next day.  

Then shred the meat, fix the chili sauce, and add the amount needed to the meat.

Then mix the masa up, and put them together.

Probably takes a total of a couple or three hours labor to put them together, not counting cooking time between stages.  Janelle and I have it down to a pretty good system, so it's really not all that bad.  It just dirties a few dishes and such, so we make enough to last.

I could buy them in the Safeway parking lot from street vendors here, but I never was fond of gato meat.  This way, I know what's in them. ;)

Besides, these are WAY better tamales.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Tags: