Barska scope....Worth the price?

Started by Moosestomper, December 06, 2004, 05:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moosestomper

I was bombing around Ebay this spring looking at scopes and saw a Barska 4-16X50AO for like $50. I liked the appearance of it but never heard a thing about them so I took a chance on $50 and bought one.
 When i got it the scope looked real nice and had good eye relief. It was a clear sunny day so the clarity seemed real good. I put it on my 358STA and took it to the range to try it out. The scope makes 300yd shooting very easy and it stood up to the ridiculous recoil of my rifle(i forgot the muzzlebrake at home). I thouhgt good enough for the critters I hunt and took it out this fall. I took a bear and a moose with no faults in the scope. It rained and snowed on it with no complaints. It performed like any run of the mill Bushnell or Tasco. When it got dark was where I really noticed a difference. Right at dusk I was trying to scope another bear that would make a nice rug but it seemed like the scope was a little fuzzy. I adjusted the objective and it did get better but not perfect. I chose not to shoot the bear because I thought my scope was screwing up. The next day I looked through it and everything seemed good again. I guess you get what you pay for. The glass is more of a fair weather quality I suppose.
  Any one else ever use a Barska or do you all shy a way from these guys?
 The one thing I didn't like was the warranty is only good in the USA. Canadian purchases are not honored if the scope fails.
 So are Barska optics products worth the purchase on a budget? I am wanting to see what you all think. I think just for a run of the mill plinking rifle I would buy another one but a mountain rilfe will definitely not see a Barska on top it.

klallen

Evening MOOSESTOMPER  >>  I gotta say up front I've never heard of that brand scope.  However, as far as I'm concerned, if ya spend $50 on a scope, force it to perform under the recoil of a .358 STA and it gives you one good season of hunting     ...     it's more then paid for itself.  Whatever you get from here on out is just gravy.  I'd have guessed the scope would have given up the ghost after the first range session on an STA.  I'm certainly not going to put a $50 scope on "my" STA, but kudo's to you for giving it a go.  Either you've lucked into that one, single Barska capable of handing the recoil or you've tripped across a quality brand of scope at basement bargain prices.  Chat with ya later.  >>  klallen

Paul

I purchased a 4x16x50 Barska Scope and mounted it on my new Winchester Apex Black Powder Rifle, using 3 - 50 grain pellets & a 295 grain hollow point powerbelt bullit I have had no problems with the scope what so ever. Early morning and late evening clarity has not been a problem nor has the weather affected it. I took my last doe in black powder season @ 225 yds with it in the heavy snow fall we just recently had here in SW Indiana. Understanding this gun does not have the impact yours has, it served me well. I'm looking at another Barska to put on my .270 for varmits....

sakorick

Hello Moosestomper. If you want to stomp them 24 hours a day thru sleet, ice, snow and rain, then you're going to have to pony up for a quality scope. I prefer the Zeiss Conquest line and then would look at the Nikon Buckmasters line. They preformed better than all the rest including Burris, Leupold and Tasco during our "low light" tests. The Russian/Eastern Bloc/Chinese scopes are "dimly" inferior by a huge margin. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Big Red Trike

If it worked and your happy with low light performance (or lack there of) keep going with it.

IMO, the most cost effective scopes for the dollar here in Canada, that I would trust on my hunting rifles would be any Bushnell 3200 rainguard or a 4x12x52 Tasco Titan (30mm tube) awsome view, very good light gathering and very clear. I spend good money on my trips and gas is $5/gal right now....I will not use equipment I don't have faith in on "MY" high recoil rifles.

BUT, I own a Simmons Outfitter/ATV 4.5x14x40 AO it is on my .243. Low recoil, good repeatable adjustments, like it alot, and the warranty card says only in the U.S. but they are trying to break into Canada. They have warranted this one before as a lense cracked. They replaced it with a new scope, new model....NO QUESTIONS ASKED. THAT IMPRESSED ME.

Oh, Muzzleloader season opens Oct 1. so have fun, be safe and good shooting.

BRT

Brithunter

HI BRT,

A question for you, have you got one of those Tasco Titan scopes?

The reason I ask is that when I traded for the Parker-Hale 30-06 that I got earlier this year it came with one on it. It's the 3-9x42mm Titan and on the vertical part of the reticle, lower part there is what looks like a single mil dot. So far I have been unable to find out what it's meant for, apart from a 2nd aiming point. The reticle on mine has a fine cross in the centre with only three parts of the broader duplex like a lot of German scopes, the top is just the fine cross all the way, like this is does not obscure what's behind your quarry.
Go Get them Floyd!

Big Red Trike

Quote from: BrithunterHI BRT,

A question for you, have you got one of those Tasco Titan scopes?

The reason I ask is that when I traded for the Parker-Hale 30-06 that I got earlier this year it came with one on it. It's the 3-9x42mm Titan and on the vertical part of the reticle, lower part there is what looks like a single mil dot. So far I have been unable to find out what it's meant for, apart from a 2nd aiming point. The reticle on mine has a fine cross in the centre with only three parts of the broader duplex like a lot of German scopes, the top is just the fine cross all the way, like this is does not obscure what's behind your quarry.
Hey Brit

I do not have a Titan, but I can tell you your thoughts regarding the mil dot are correct, a second aiming point. I don't know anyone who uses it and I have lots of good friends who hunt with TITANS. They are an awesome piece of equipment.

If you ever want to sell it let me know we can work out the details. Cause right now I use 3200's exclusively on all MY big game rifles. BUT I am going to start adding TITAN's asap.

PS. I really like the rainguard feature on the 3200's. Stick it in the freezer for 1/2 hour take it out breathe on it to fog it then look through it immediately. Perfect clarity, and the lenses are fogged. Amazing.

BRT:)

Tallyman

A local sports shop was selling Barska binoculars and scopes. They looked OK until I read the warranty. Their return fee is about half the cost of a new item. For high quality and a damned good lifetime warranty try a NcStar scope. Go to www.ncstar.com to see their complete catalog of scopes, mounts, rings, binoculars and lots of other neat stuff.

Tags: